#17971 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:44

... on the way to school earlier this week, heard a kid somewhere in the 10-12 bracket singing/humming the Harry Potter theme. That's no mean achievement. And having done the theme he trundled off into florid variations. I don't know if they were from the films or from his imagination, but either way, that's a kid with a musical future if he wants one.

#17972 tetrachord

tetrachord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Member: 61050
  • Central Scotland

Posted 21 June 2019 - 14:26

I'm taking a plane to Cardiff soon and wanted to check how far in advance I needed to be there.  When I tried typing "how far in advance of flight I need to board" Google came up with "how far in advance of flight I need to boil eggs"blink.png  Had no idea that was essential for flying...

#17973 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4792 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:51

I suppose Boots is/are to be applauded for cutting down on (or charging for) plastic bags in their stores.
When you observe the long rows of bottles, tubes, sprays and other containers in dept stores and supermarkets all made of plastic, I do wonder when a concerted effort will be made to address the almost universal use of plastic for containers in general.

#17974 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3181 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:14

Mmm....leaving my new life for a couple of days to oversee/steward/accompany an ABRSM session back from  whence I came.  The accompanying will be interesting as I haven't touched my piano for a couple of weeks!

It'll be lovely to catch up with some of the wonderful people at school (first stop - caretakers for some banter smile.png ) and of course the candidates, all of whom I know and two were taught by me before I moved on to pastures new.  However, the thought of London and all that already feels like I have a giant contrictor squeezing the life from me.

I'm writing this looking over the River Coln and into the fields beyond....

Mmm.  Regrets?  Crikey, NO!

Bag x

#17975 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4517 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:39

Hi Bagpuss! Enjoy your freedom and do your thing! smile.png I like bantering with caretakers, cleaners and dinner ladies too - they are the best fun!

#17976 tetrachord

tetrachord

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Member: 61050
  • Central Scotland

Posted 14 July 2019 - 20:31

I used the toilets in Victoria Park in Glasgow and there was a sign on the mirror reading "Only wash your hands in the sink. DO NOT PUT YOUR FEET IN THE SINK."

You have to wonder sometimes...blink.png

#17977 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6058 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 14 July 2019 - 20:35

I used the toilets in Victoria Park in Glasgow and there was a sign on the mirror reading "Only wash your hands in the sink. DO NOT PUT YOUR FEET IN THE SINK."

Unfortunately there exist people who think that washing their feet in the sink is fine, as I have observed them in action. Not in Glasgow though.

#17978 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6532 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 14 July 2019 - 21:24

Unfortunately there exist people who think that washing their feet in the sink is fine, as I have observed them in action. Not in Glasgow though.

I've been somewhere like this over the weekend - it was a cafe in a park in St Albans. A most unusual notice I thought!

#17979 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4792 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted Yesterday, 07:39

Is foot- washing in the Ladies' such a problem? Have to admit I have never witnessed this but was rather repelled to see a woman having a thorough nasal clean out over a hand basin. I wondered if it was a cultural thing but I have never seen it again so put it down to a singular personal hygiene issue.
I have seen taps for pre-prayer foot washing in airport loos. Is that different/acceptable because another user's hands are unlikely to come into contact with the channel that catches the water?

#17980 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17527 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted Yesterday, 08:08

One of the oddest notes I have seen in a loo was  'The toilet brush is provided for YOU to use'