Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Member: 899443
  • Switzerland

Posted 24 July 2019 - 14:41

From the news: Farmers in mountainous areas have been allowing cattle to graze on what are ski slopes in winter due to the effect of the drought on lower ground'
I dunno. I thought it was the other way round... ski resorts were allowed to 'build' ski slopes on the hillsides where the cows had always spent their alpine summer.

#17987 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7659 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 24 July 2019 - 15:01

A long time ago I went to visit a friend in Suffolk. I happened to be in the area and hadn't warned her I might call.  I got there to find that she had gone away for a fortnight leaving her cottage unlocked and a notice on the front door saying that any callers were welcome to make themselves tea  to help themselves to the strawberries in the garden behind the house.

#17988 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17570 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 24 July 2019 - 20:29

A long time ago I went to visit a friend in Suffolk. I happened to be in the area and hadn't warned her I might call.  I got there to find that she had gone away for a fortnight leaving her cottage unlocked and a notice on the front door saying that any callers were welcome to make themselves tea  to help themselves to the strawberries in the garden behind the house.

Suffolk folk are generally quite honest and trusting, at least I hope so , as my wife is one !  But that does seem rather silly to me, the whole place may have got cleaned out !

#17989 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Member: 899443
  • Switzerland

Posted 25 July 2019 - 03:56

It was, sadly, 'a long time ago...'

#17990 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1828 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 26 July 2019 - 13:04

One of the local charity shops has decided that now is the time to start selling Christmas cards blink.png

#17991 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7659 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 02 August 2019 - 08:59

Yesterday evening I went to a concert in our parish church. it was organised by a group whose aim is to bring classical music to rural areas where people have little chance of getting to concerts. I decided I should support them and also support the parish priest who, contrary to the previous incumbent, seems to want to use the church for musical events.

We were promised a pianist of international renown (whom I had better not name) and I was quite excited to see something I haven't seen for a long time - a concert size grand piano. They had moved the altar back to accommodate it. The programme was centered around a selection of Chopin polonaises. The pianist explained that in the first half he would also play music by the composers he thought had most influenced Chopin - ie J S Bach and Mozart and in the second half he would intersperse the polonaises with contemporary composers who had been influenced by Chopin.

Well, it was awful! Just piano noise! My goodness he could get his hands over the keys but I don't really like my Bach or Mozart to sound like badly played Rachmaninoff. And as for the Chopin - well - it was - loud! There was not an ounce of musicality in it. I was very disappointed and thankful that none of my pupils were present. I was not the only person who didn't applaud. At the interval I decided I couldn't sit through any more of it and I quietly slipped out. All I could think was that if I could play like that - I wouldn't!

#17992 SingingPython

SingingPython

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Member: 406151

Posted 04 August 2019 - 13:10

Aquarelle your tale reminds me of a concert I played in years back when still in youth orchestra.  The pianist was a well-known soloist, though I understand he had been blacklisted by most of the professional orchestras in our country some 10 or 20 years before.  The concert was being recorded live for broadcast;  however the first work being minimalist we had to prerecord it as audience noise would have been too obvious.  Instead of laughing when things went wrong and relaxing us, the soloist's reactions wound us up tighter and tighter.  After the concert (in which if I recall correctly we probably played better than the soloist, or at least more musically) our conductor promised us we would never have to play with him again.

I hope the next concert in your parish church is more successful.