Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6100 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:47

Heard the woodpecker for the first time this year yesterday and then saw a jay.

#20342 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1915 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:48

Caught the scent of hyacinths in Leamington Spa's railway station garden.

#20343 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:31

Heard the woodpecker for the first time this year yesterday and then saw a jay.

Lovely! I'm lucky that there is a lot of birdlife in mine and my neigbour's garden. Lots of thrushes, various t*ts, sparrows, the odd wren plus ducks next door. There are also some old oaks nearby and a small woodland half way up the moor so we see and hear plenty of jackdaws.

Last night we heard tawny owls calling around 9-10pm which really made the evening! We periodically hear owls but this was the clearest for a while. Still haven't caught sight of them though!

#20344 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5823 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 19 March 2019 - 18:17

We have a lot of birdlife too, and recently, a heron has been much frequenting our garden. The attraction, it seems, is the garden pond. A number of times we have seen said heron making off holding a frog in its beak - and we now strongly suspect that the entire frog population of our pond has gone the same way. I actually like frogs, so perhaps this should have been in the Aaaaaggghhh thread. sad.png

#20345 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2588 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 19 March 2019 - 20:41

Nice to have a heron in the garden though. My hens are funny if they get a frog because they can't eat it without putting it down, but if they put it down another hen steals it off them. They end up chasing each other round the garden and half the time the frog escapes.

#20346 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14611 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 20 March 2019 - 00:33

The support of a friend and some potentially good news from Bagpuss.

:wub:

#20347 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 20 March 2019 - 09:33

Misterioso, if you like frogs and want to deter the heron in a reasonably heron-friendly way, and if you can cope with the idea of synthetic wildlife, you can put a plastic life-size model heron next to the pond. Herons don't like fishing in a crowd; it puts them off. I think suppliers of outside fish-ponds will be able to supply.

#20348 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5823 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:27

Misterioso, if you like frogs and want to deter the heron in a reasonably heron-friendly way, and if you can cope with the idea of synthetic wildlife, you can put a plastic life-size model heron next to the pond. Herons don't like fishing in a crowd; it puts them off. I think suppliers of outside fish-ponds will be able to supply.

I had exactly the same thought, elemimele (although in stone rather than plastic) and am still mulling over it. It is nice to see the heron, but it's also nice to have a frog population.

#20349 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted 20 March 2019 - 13:58

Here I've seen many iron ones
Most attraktive.

#20350 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6648 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 21 March 2019 - 14:54

Baby bunnies!  Well, not baby ones, but not very big ones.  Hopping around at work, which despite being buildings and car parks for 3000 workers and next to a motorway, has a nice amount of wildlife if you go out for a walk around the perimeter road.  Two swans moved in to the 'lake' in December, I suspect the place will go nuts if we have cygnets (it's officially called a 'lake' but that does seem a grandiose term for it; but on the other hand, it's way too big to be called a pond).

Also, gentle trouble-making smile.png  An internal podcast, the first of series on inclusion and diversity.  Several comments saying it was good/interesting/etc.  My comment, 'Any chance we can have a transcript?', because I get unreasonably annoyed when our inclusion and diversity people fail to notice a fairly obvious exclusion (especially as about 18 months ago, we had a video sent out on a Monday morning to the whole company to celebrate inclusion week; and on Wednesday it was quietly re-circulated with a sheepish 'now with added subtitles' headdesk.gif )

#20351 Rosemary7391

Rosemary7391

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8063 posts
  • Member: 7195
  • Glasgow

Posted 21 March 2019 - 15:23

The resident swan couple in the local park have built a massive nest and one is sitting in it everytime I go... so if cygnets are en route you should know soon enough Maizie! They're very cute but shoot up alarmingly... I've also seen coots out building their nests, but the ducks and moorhens are either being lazy or secretive rofl.gif

#20352 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7471 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:36

Three days ago I rescued a turtle dove.  It was hunched up on the ground in the garden and didn't move when I picked it up. It appeared to have had a blow on the right side of its head and to have no right eye. It was obviously concussed because they won't normally let you pick them up.

I have nursed "Napoleon" /. "Napolea" hand fed him/her and treated the eye with eye wash and anti-biotic cream and removed a tic.. The bird is still a bit dozy but now it appears that the eye is not lost. The gunge covering it has disappeared and where I thought there was just a socket there is an eye. Remains to be seen if it is functional but there is hope!

#20353 Witzend

Witzend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Member: 892899
  • Kingston on Thames

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:54

First smell of newly cut grass.
Horse chestnut sticky buds beginning to burst open.

Oh, and I've discovered that if I stand really tall in front of the mirror, I still have a discernible waistline!

#20354 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2588 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 22 March 2019 - 17:31

On my holidays. Mmm.

#20355 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6100 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 22 March 2019 - 19:19

Went for a 4 mile run earlier along the canal. The hawthorn hedges have suddenly turned green, my Amelanchier tree is in blossom - about 10 days early, and some tulips are out - also early.