6 replies to this topic

#1 Ruth Kirby

Ruth Kirby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Member: 34569

Posted 10 July 2008 - 15:43

My daughter (9) has just completed grade 3 violin with an excellent distinction and a very good sight reading mark. I'm quite keen to get her involved in an orchestra with the one at her school being a bit basic as most of the players are in grade 1 or 2 - it's a junior school. I wondered if there were any parents with children participating in orchestras in Surrey? Thanks for your help.

#2 soccermom

soccermom

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1665 posts
  • Member: 9005
  • South West Surrey

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:00

QUOTE(Ruth Kirby @ Jul 10 2008, 04:43 PM) View Post

My daughter (9) has just completed grade 3 violin with an excellent distinction and a very good sight reading mark. I'm quite keen to get her involved in an orchestra with the one at her school being a bit basic as most of the players are in grade 1 or 2 - it's a junior school. I wondered if there were any parents with children participating in orchestras in Surrey? Thanks for your help.

Surrey County Arts runs various ensembles - check the website (sorry, I'm no good at links and things) for details of where and when. If you're anywhere near Godalming there's a youth orchestra there on Saturday mornings though I don't know what it's like. My children go to Hindhead Music Centre which has 2 string orchestras on a Saturday (plus a children's choir). If you're anywhere near and interested, let me know and I'll let you have more details.

#3 Ruth Kirby

Ruth Kirby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Member: 34569

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:24

Thanks, I'll look into the Godalming orchestra on Sat morning. We know Hindhead very well as my daughter used to study there before she could take lessons at school. She attends the residential camp at the end of August and I'll ask Mrs Chamberlain if she can join the orchestra even though she's not taking lessons which I thought was a pre-req. Thanks for your help.

#4 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17571 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 11 July 2008 - 13:12

When we lived in Surrey my daughter went to junior orchestras (there were two) at Chipstead Valley near Coulsdon, indeed I think they were called Chipstead Valley Junior Orchestra, I was a committe member, but dont know if its still going. It may also be the wrong end of Surrey for you. She ended up as leader , and led the orchestra in the Fairfield Hall Croydon on one occasion. Quite daunting to come on stage last and take a bow at age about 10 ! But she is 32 now and plays in Hertford Symphony Orchestra.

#5 soccermom

soccermom

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1665 posts
  • Member: 9005
  • South West Surrey

Posted 11 July 2008 - 13:55

QUOTE(Ruth Kirby @ Jul 11 2008, 01:24 PM) View Post

Thanks, I'll look into the Godalming orchestra on Sat morning. We know Hindhead very well as my daughter used to study there before she could take lessons at school. She attends the residential camp at the end of August and I'll ask Mrs Chamberlain if she can join the orchestra even though she's not taking lessons which I thought was a pre-req. Thanks for your help.

I'm sending you a PM

#6 Brian Bottle

Brian Bottle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Member: 57068

Posted 31 August 2009 - 14:18

The Godalming Youth Orchestra web site is at www.godalmingyouthorchestra.org.uk. Rehearsals are on Saturday mornings during the Autumn and Spring terms.

#7 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3766 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 02 September 2009 - 22:54

Sorry I can't help as the required level for the 2 I know in surrey are higher than grade 3. However do check the surrey county council arts page. There are suitable ones depending upon location.