#1 agapanthus

agapanthus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Member: 11123

Posted 30 July 2008 - 20:33

unsure.gif
Hello all you superstars who give us adults who are learning instruments the meaning of music and help us take those tentative steps into the music world.
My question is where would I advertise to find a local superstar in Lancashire Preston area who could lead beginners and intermediate adults in a string ensemble?
I currently have to travel 66 mile round trips to get to the nearest adult intermediate string ensemble and keep meeting similar people in the Preston area who would like to start a string ensemble but we would need an inspirational leader. Where would we find one? Any ideas? I know of the Lowry Strings in Manchester and Phoenix Strings in Fleetwood but they are some journey. City of Preston should be delivering something for us now given the size of the geographic area.

With thanks for all you do and for any insights you can offer me on my journey.

#2 Annie R

Annie R

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Member: 35321

Posted 30 July 2008 - 20:38

have you thought of contacting Lancaster University?? It has a big music department, they may know of someone or be able to help in any way. Was just a thought!!

#3 Guest: skylark_*

Guest: skylark_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 30 July 2008 - 21:20

Hi agapanthus wave.gif

I've put your enquiry on the Playing Opportunities thread as a "wanted" ad, and then if you don't find anyone straight away from this thread, somebody might see the opportunity some other time as the Playing Opportunities thread is pinned at the top of the Forum Events sub-forum. Let me know if you want me to remove it.

skylark smile.gif

#4 agapanthus

agapanthus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Member: 11123

Posted 30 July 2008 - 22:51

have you thought of contacting Lancaster University?? It has a big music department, they may know of someone or be able to help in any way. Was just a thought!!

Thanks - will give them a go. party1.gif

QUOTE(skylark @ Jul 30 2008, 10:20 PM) View Post

Hi agapanthus wave.gif

I've put your enquiry on the Playing Opportunities thread as a "wanted" ad, and then if you don't find anyone straight away from this thread, somebody might see the opportunity some other time as the Playing Opportunities thread is pinned at the top of the Forum Events sub-forum. Let me know if you want me to remove it.

skylark smile.gif

Thank you Skylark

#5 Guest: skylark_*

Guest: skylark_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:21

Have you tried contacting the Preston Concert Band or the Lytham Light Orchestra or the Blackpool Symphony Orchestra - they might know somebody who might be interested. Or go along to one of their concerts and talk to the string players.

Does the library have a notice board where you could put a leaflet up?

Could the local music shop put you in touch with anyone - I know there's Music Cellar in Preston, not sure if there are any others. Or do they have a notice board where you could put something up?

What about ringing round a few strings teachers off the musicteachers.co.uk web site - they might have an advanced student who might be interested, or they might even be interested themselves.

Hope you find someone!

#6 Louise H

Louise H

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Member: 7092
  • West Cumbria

Posted 03 August 2008 - 20:42

You could try advertising on www.musicleader.net - there is a North West network where you might be able
to find someone locally who can help. They are generally involved in training and development for people involved in music as well as networking. There is a contact person for the region who may be able to give you some local suggestions.

Louise