Noxica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Member: 53608
  • In the mangle-munching forest of G major scale

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:24

Do you ever wish your teacher focused more on scales?

Or theory?

Or anything else that's usually classed as 'boring'?

Has your teacher ever needed to sit down with a stiff whiskey after finidng out just how much you practice scales and other 'boring' stuff?

Has your teacher ever needed resuscitation after finding out how much you practice full stop?

Do you ever turn up to your lesson saying 'Oh that? Mastered that days ago. Moved onto <insert far more advanced piece title here> now!'?

Do you get an ever-increasing feeling that learners around you are harbouring an intense dislike of you and your pettish ways?

If so, join the Teachers Pets Club!

(Or if you prefer, skip straight to the end of the book and we'll meet you there)

#2 Guest: skylark_*

Guest: skylark_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:36

I'll join, I'll join yay.gif

After my last exam, G4 clarinet, I had about an hour and a half to kill before my lesson, so I sat in the car and played my way through most of the other G4 pieces on the list, and also learnt a new scale. When I told my teacher in the lesson that I'd learnt a new scale, he not only thought I was really weird, he was actually quite cross wacko.gif I've now got another teacher party1.gif biggrin.gif

#3 Noxica

Noxica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:40

Mine just makes a cup of tea when I come out with things like that.

Like the week she told me to practice piece 3 in the Suzuki book, and I came back the next week, not only having spent the week working on piece 8, but actually playing it better than piece 3.

Then there was the conversation we had about 'oh I don't want you to do scales, I don't want you getting bored this early on', followed by

"But I've been doing my scales! I'd forgotten how much fun G major is!"

Cue large cup of tea laugh.gif

#4 CJB

CJB

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts
  • Member: 4076

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:10

I think in the dim and distant past when I had lessons I probably drove my teacher up the wall almost as much as she did to me.

There was a memorable period between G6 and 8 where she suggested I went to the library and found something 'fun' to play. I came back with the Molter concerto which interested me as the earliest piece of original music I'd found for the clarinet plus some Weber I'd heard on the radio and whilst hard sounded fun......this wasn't what she'd intended. For about a term I spent all my practicing time on the stuff I defined as fun, and my lessons sight reading the stuff she thought was fun. To this day I don't think she realised.

I don't think I was ever teacher's pet....far too annoying for that!

#5 Noxica

Noxica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:19

To be fair, I was never my old teacher's official pet (although it was made clear I was deputy pet) - there was a kid a year younger than me who was a freaky child prodigy type who she loved but everyone else glared at over their fingerboards. I strongly suspect he burnt out though, because if he'd seen it through to adulthood he'd almost certainly be a wellknown name by now.

I've always wondered what actually happened to him - however much I glared at him, he was an extraordinary talent sad.gif