Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1725 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 17 September 2017 - 21:40

As for a possible thyroid problem - I had a medical check-up earlier this year and I appeared to have low blood pressure, but when I returned for a follow-up appointment my blood pressure reading was normal, so that was that. I did get referred to mental health services for showing symptoms of anxiety, but so far all I've had from them is a prescription for anti-depressants and two brief sessions with a shrink. The second session was back in June, after which the analyst was moved to another role, and I've had to wait until now to be given another appointment (for next week). 

To eliminate hypothyroidism you have to have a blood test. Unless your GP is a bright spark he may not know much about it. Even the lipid consultant I saw at St Thomas Hospital missed it, he tried to treat a symptom (high cholesterol) not the cause.

http://www.thyroiduk...thyroidism.html

At the moment it's been hard enough getting the doctor to call me back (or at least when I'm available to take the call), let alone make an appointment.

#197 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41578 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:01

For the record, I'm not a recent graduate (I'm over 40). I have sometimes interviewed for stopgap jobs, but in most cases the interviewer called my bluff and demanded to know if I'm planning to leave as soon as something better comes up.

Of course they'll do that. You are at liberty to withhold that information though. It got me a retail job which kept a salary coming in while I built my music/teaching career up.

I did actually receive a provisional job offer for a junior developer role with a civil service department in Coventry back in May. They are still carrying out background checks. TBH I secretly hope that I could land another job, as I'm concerned that the civil service job is both poorly paid (less than my last role, which in turn was less than a graduate entrant) and offers no outlet for my environmental interests. However I'm still struggling worse than ever despite (or because) having spent so much of the last eight years looking for work. 

Assuming you get through the background checks, my advice would be to take this. Who knows where it will take you?
Far better than continuously lamenting the lack of jobs you have.
Forget the environmental stuff as well for this particular purpose. Personally, I'd teach a load of five and six year olds recorder (certainly not my favourite thing in the world!) if it meant I'd get a bit of extra food on the table.

#198 polkadot

polkadot

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 18 September 2017 - 18:03

For the record, I'm not a recent graduate (I'm over 40). I have sometimes interviewed for stopgap jobs, but in most cases the interviewer called my bluff and demanded to know if I'm planning to leave as soon as something better comes up.

Most employers would naturally assume that people would always be looking to improve their prospects.  This isn't always the case.  Some people are more than happy to stay in a lesser-paid job or less demanding job because they don't want the pressure of a more responsible job, or because it's convenient hours, or close to home, or whatever.  You just have to convince the interviewer that you're one of these people.  Many years ago I was in a job that was very well paid but I had become very unhappy there.  I looked into loads of other jobs but none of them were as well paid as the job I was in, so I was stuck.  Eventually I decided that I would have to take a less well paid job just to get out.  My prospective new employer couldn't believe that I would be happy to take a drop, but I managed to convince them.  I ended up getting promoted to be a director of that company and then later setting up my own business as a result of what I'd learnt there.  You really don't know where things are going to lead.  They may not, but you'll never know if you don't give it a try.