Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5313 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 15 November 2017 - 15:32

For oboe/flute and no doubt other instruments some arpeggios are done as a 12th - sticking to C as the example that would be

C-E-G-C'-E'-G'-G'-E'-C'-G-E-C-C

You play the middle and end notes twice to make the rhythm work. smile.gif

Actually, although this may be the case with oboe, it isn't with flute. I have only ever played 12th scales without the repeated notes, and this is how they are written in the flute scales book.

#17 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10651 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 15 November 2017 - 16:38

For oboe/flute and no doubt other instruments some arpeggios are done as a 12th - sticking to C as the example that would be

You play the middle and end notes twice to make the rhythm work.

Actually, although this may be the case with oboe, it isn't with flute. I have only ever played 12th scales without the repeated notes, and this is how they are written in the flute scales book.

I've always played them and taught them with the repeated notes on flute so that the rhythm matches the two octave examples, as flobiano says. :)

#18 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5313 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 15 November 2017 - 17:16

You play the middle and end notes twice to make the rhythm work.

I've always played them and taught them with the repeated notes on flute so that the rhythm matches the two octave examples, as flobiano says. smile.png

Ah - so I assume both ways are equally acceptable then. My flute teacher never demonstrated them with repeated notes, so I was happily ignorant! Thanks for putting me right.smile.png

#19 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10651 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 15 November 2017 - 19:09

I've just checked the online flute syllabus, and the version they give in there is the one with repeated notes, so that must be the official line. However, I have inherited pupils who have been taught the other way and not penalised for playing them like that in an exam (as far as I could tell).