• Please log in to reply
322 replies to this topic

#316 Guest: Celeste_*

Guest: Celeste_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 08 January 2011 - 23:41

Hello everyone smile.gif

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who took part in the Overture, the Finale, the flute ensemble, the string ensemble and the choir. You were all stars.

To fsharpminor - thank you for everything, and I'm so sorry I messed up that last page. By the time you asked to play it again I was so tired, I made it even worse, which didn't do justice to your playing at all. But thank you anyway. Your solos were beautiful. x

To jojo - You are going to go SO far. Don't ever doubt yourself or your ability, you (to quote yourself!) 'got through my skin'. (And thank you for helping mwl1 and me find food last night!)

Mad Tom - a million other people will say it, but I was impressed! biggrin.gif

IanG - Even though I don't know you, I felt proud of you for getting up and playing infront of us. And I LOVE that I could see you gaining confidence even through the duration of the concert! *massive high five*

Well done to my lovely mwl1, who did ridiculously well despite being convinced that he couldn't play the piece! wub.gif

MusicStand, Emsoboe - enviable, as ever! smile.gif

Lois, and Lois' mom - was lovely to hear you both. Lois, you must bring your violin next time!

Dockboggs - biggrin.gif Loved the banjo! Ditto Vanessa, you always amaze me. smile.gif

Mr Bond - You're really good. smile.gif Sorry I let the side down though. As Mad Tom said, it clearly didn't suit my voice. sad.gif

Gedall40, amazing as ever. x

Flossie, BabyBird2, Cheekster - really enjoyed your bits!

And now it's getting to a point where it's going to be embarassing if I miss anyone out - I'm really sorry! It's nothing personal, I really enjoyed everyone's performances.

I so wish skylark was still on the forum. I can't believe how her piano-ing has come on. She's a real inspiration (and looks absolutely gorgeous!!!) biggrin.gif Thank you so much for organising a wonderful event, the best forum concert by far (which could only have been improved by the presence of DaisyChain and The Old Lady..!) Here's to absent friends, eh? smile.gif

Fiona xx

#317 IanG

IanG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Member: 113818
  • Leyland

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:39

To everyone who was in Leeds yesterday - thank you so much for making me so welcome and being such nice people!!
Particularly thank you to Lois and MusicStand for doing duets with me - I'm so impressed how you (and others) can switch between instruments so easily. I have quite enough trying to cope with just the clarinet!
I really did enjoy being included in the ensemble/orchestra bits (with prompts from lois whenever I got lost!).
The performances were special too - there were so many amazing players there.
Of course special thanks must go to Skylark - keeping such a moving feast on the rails was quite remarkable!
Hope there's another in July - I'll definitely come if I can!
Ian G

#318 Guest: Mad Tom_*

Guest: Mad Tom_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:49

QUOTE(Celeste @ Jan 9 2011, 01:41 AM) View Post

To fsharpminor - thank you for everything, and I'm so sorry I messed up that last page. By the time you asked to play it again I was so tired, I made it even worse, which didn't do justice to your playing at all. But thank you anyway. Your solos were beautiful. Mr Bond - You're really good. smile.gif Sorry I let the side down though.

Don't beat yourself up - I thought you played beautifully

QUOTE(Celeste @ Jan 9 2011, 01:41 AM) View Post

... As Mad Tom said, it clearly didn't suit my voice. sad.gif

Maybe not, but it was still nicely sung.

Thanks for the compliment, and I completely agree with your compliments to the other players ... everyone excelled themselves on the day, there were some marvellous performances.

It seems unfair to single out any individual, but I will anyway. As at Chester, I was most impressed by fsharpminor. He really is a very fine pianist.

And finally. The biggest of thanks to the former Skylark for organizing it all

#319 Pixie*Porsche

Pixie*Porsche

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • Member: 6685

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:31

QUOTE(lois @ Jan 8 2011, 11:14 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Nicia-Clarinet-Flute @ Jan 8 2011, 10:23 PM) View Post

I do want to come to the summer one (in July? I think) fingers crossed I'll be well then biggrin.gif

Maybe we can do the second movement of the trio biggrin.gif

Hope you feel better soon Nicia

That would be great. smile.gif I'm not even playing clarinet at the moment sad.gif tried to play a bit of flute yesterday but not sure how wise that was and started to rediscover the piano ... because that about all that I can play!! smile.gif

I felt so bad for not being able to come and letting people down.

#320 Chris H

Chris H

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1958 posts
  • Member: 6441
  • Yorkshire

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:37

A big thank you to Skylark for organising the event yesterday. I think I enjoyed it more than any other Leeds concert I'd been to. Everyone chose such lovely music to play, it was all my favourites. I love Telemann, Beethoven, Mozart and Shostakovich. I'd never heard the Dvorak Sonatina in G before, but what a lovely piece that is! I love the music from Schindler's List and Vocalise is one of my favourite pieces. The Spanish Dance No 1 and 2 was another great choice, and it was great to hear Dockbogg's banjo playing accompanying Vanessa's fantastic fiddle playing. I love jazz piano and really enjoyed Lois's mum's playing. Also, I couldn't get The Lonely Goatherd out of my head on the drive home. Mad Tom's Haydn had to be a particular highlight for me. Flossie really impressed me with how much she has come on with the violin in 18 months - and Skylark has really come on well with the piano too, I'm glad she played, as she was going to chicken out! And talking about chicken's, I loved Emsoboe and MusicStand's duet of Spring Chicken Fever.

It was nice to meet new people for the first time, and see others again. I hope to go again in July, but MusicStand won't be able to come - he'll be on an expedition in Thailand.

#321 gedall40

gedall40

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2075 posts
  • Member: 35143
  • Kenilworth

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:58

I am just back home from Leeds after a good drive down the M1.

My thanks also to dear Skylark for once again organising a superb event - it must have been the most difficult one to schedule because of all the new people, and the new location (which by the way I thought was very good and much warmer than the old one smile.gif ).

I was pleased by all the performances, from "regulars" who have clearly moved on in their performing skills, and from the "newbies" whom I hope we made feel at ease with those of us who have been before. Everybody was very good, and I only wish to single out Celeste who did a grand job with all the conducting she took on at the last minute due to the illness of MusicGuru - it certainly made a huge difference to the flute ensemble and orchestral pieces which I took part in. Well done Fiona howDoYouDo.gif clap.gif xx

I send good wishes for a speedy recovery to all those who couldn't make it this time because of illness, especially DaisyChain - breakfast at the Ascot Grange really was lonely this time, it wasn't the same without you sad.gif .

#322 oldnotes

oldnotes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Member: 28524
  • North Yorkshire, by the sea.

Posted 09 January 2011 - 13:08

I'd just like to echo all the comments so far posted. I believe the standard of playing yesterday was the best yet. The new venue is very good, and more convenient.

It was, once again thanks to Skylark's organisation, a memorable day of musical enjoyment, both listening and taking part. A special thanks to those who played/sang with me.

Roll on July.

smile.gif

#323 Chris H

Chris H

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1958 posts
  • Member: 6441
  • Yorkshire

Posted 09 January 2011 - 13:43

QUOTE(Nicia-Clarinet-Flute @ Jan 9 2011, 12:31 PM) View Post

QUOTE(lois @ Jan 8 2011, 11:14 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Nicia-Clarinet-Flute @ Jan 8 2011, 10:23 PM) View Post

I do want to come to the summer one (in July? I think) fingers crossed I'll be well then biggrin.gif

Maybe we can do the second movement of the trio biggrin.gif

Hope you feel better soon Nicia

That would be great. smile.gif I'm not even playing clarinet at the moment sad.gif tried to play a bit of flute yesterday but not sure how wise that was and started to rediscover the piano ... because that about all that I can play!! smile.gif

I felt so bad for not being able to come and letting people down.

Don't worry about not coming, you didn't let people down at all, it's not your fault you were ill. It was just a shame you couldn't come, I would have loved to have seen you again and Music Stand missed you too.