12 replies to this topic

#1 VickyB

VickyB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Member: 409827

Posted 07 March 2013 - 16:57

Just wondering if any harpists play in any groups eg orchestras, quartets etc.

I'm fairly new to the harp. Haven't done any grades but I'd say I'm probably G1 standard at the moment. I play the lever harp.

I'd love to find a small, friendly regular harp / string / folk group to play with but all the local orchestras tend to ask for approx G4+.

What sort of groups should i be looking for? Is this something that any of you do?

Thanks

#2 erard

erard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Member: 716

Posted 07 March 2013 - 22:00

I would suggest you start by finding a like minded friend on nearly any instrument - harp groups are fun as people understand, but harp and melody instrument works very well together playing any tune going.

Very little of the orchestral repertoire is playable as written on the lever harp, and you need a certain amount of experience and confidence to adapt parts as the odds are no one else in the room will know much about the harp. There are some introductory folk groups, but many race off at extremely high speed!

#3 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3891 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:44

QUOTE(erard @ Mar 7 2013, 10:00 PM) View Post
I would suggest you start by finding a like minded friend on nearly any instrument - harp groups are fun as people understand, but harp and melody instrument works very well together playing any tune going.
I second that. Round here one of our young harpists has started playing with a cellist friend.

#4 VickyB

VickyB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:48

OK great. I'll give that a try. The only friend I know who is learning is playing trombone, and I think she would drown me out! I'll ask around.

Thanks for your help.

#5 Roseau

Roseau

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6797 posts
  • Member: 6007
  • France

Posted 08 March 2013 - 13:13

QUOTE(VickyB @ Mar 8 2013, 01:48 PM) View Post

OK great. I'll give that a try. The only friend I know who is learning is playing trombone, and I think she would drown me out! I'll ask around.

Thanks for your help.

Not all beginner trombonists play loudly and music for harp and trombone does exist (athough this is probably way beyond your level):
Trombone and Harp CD

#6 RoseRodent

RoseRodent

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3003 posts
  • Member: 76503
  • Scotland

Posted 08 March 2013 - 13:59

Edinburgh International Harp Festival is coming up, if you are able to travel you could come along. Classes and groups for all levels, harp making exhibitions, harp music for sale, harpy people to be around, harpy concerts to go to and generally a complete immersion of harpness. After my last setback on the path to harpiness (groan!) I am booked in for some beginner classes and a serious look at the instruments. I bet you could find others who would happily harp on (double groan!) with you and suggestions for finding a local partner.

#7 Deborah

Deborah

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5861 posts
  • Member: 2747
  • Monsalvat, Valhalla

Posted 08 March 2013 - 21:10

A friend of mine plays and teaches the harp. We've played some harp and clarinet repertoire on several occasions, and she also has a harp group with some of her pupils. Do ask your teacher for ideas and suggestions, and if you can give us a rough idea where you are, someone may be willing to make music with you. smile.gif

#8 VickyB

VickyB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 23:15

Thanks all. That's interesting about the trombone, and I will definitely ask my teacher. I'm just outside Manchester so if anyone knows of anything locally that would be great.

#9 GMc

GMc

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Member: 322722

Posted 09 March 2013 - 01:43

The easiest way to start I can think of is a mixed ability harp ensemble where you dont have to play anything like all the music but can still be part of lots of good pieces So you might just play the first note or chord of the bar and gently work up. Does your teacher have enough people to make an ensemble or know of one nearby? Nearly all harp festivals have ensembles anyone can join in with.

You can do the same with lowish level orchestra - usually stealing a bit of the cello part we found but that was probably cos they only had one cello in that orchestra at the time. It is very helpful for new string players to have an in tune instrument next to them! Fine for lever harp too while not too advanced.

And you can trawl the flute teachers for a friend but would probably help to be a bit more advanced first then you have more repertoire to look at. Or if you can arrange your own that helps. If you know a good cellist Promenade a L'automne by Tournier has an easy harp part (cello part needs someone who can play in tune or its dire) that you can play on lever.

Our experience of folk is that they usually go pretty fast and you need good impro skills and chord theory to be able to slot in but they must start somewhere so maybe someone else can help with that.

#10 HarpyMum

HarpyMum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Member: 222758

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:15

QUOTE(VickyB @ Mar 7 2013, 05:57 PM) View Post

I'm fairly new to the harp. Haven't done any grades but I'd say I'm probably G1 standard at the moment. I play the lever harp.

I'd love to find a small, friendly regular harp / string / folk group to play with but all the local orchestras tend to ask for approx G4+.

What sort of groups should i be looking for? Is this something that any of you do?

Thanks

Hi there VickyB
I dont know how old you are but have you thought about joining your local Youth or Senior Orchestra? Orchestra's often have to harps so you may be lucky and find a friend, if not at least it would be fun for you playing in a group not to mention good experience with sight reading and time keeping! harp.gif

QUOTE(VickyB @ Mar 7 2013, 05:57 PM) View Post

Thanks

Just read your post again and I see you have already tried orchestra's blush.gif
perhaps advertise somewhere local for any other harpists and start a group at home??? harp.gif

#11 Jack Campin

Jack Campin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Member: 538413
  • near Edinburgh

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:03

I used to play Scottish trad in a duet with a (lever) harpist - me on various wind instruments. It worked very well, and would have still worked pretty well with a less skilled harpist than my excellent partner - the way that combination works, the harp doesn't need to play every note of the tune, but it does need to do reasonably accurate harmony and occasional confident flourishes. So learning chord theory early on is important, more so than agility in passage work.

One combo that works superbly well is harp and Northumbrian pipes, if you can find someone who plays them.

#12 Violalala

Violalala

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Member: 322745
  • Guernsey

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:21

Do you like early music? Try making contact with your nearest Society of Recorder Players branch.
Kate

#13 HarpyMum

HarpyMum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Member: 222758

Posted 18 March 2014 - 13:52

Hello VickyB

perhaps have a look at     http://www.clarsachs...out-us/branches

there are a couple of branches of this society not a million miles from you.