Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6200 posts
  • Member: 30881
  • Stockport

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:26

Arundodonuts, I'm not sure, on logical grounds, that I agree with you completely! I can't speak about saxophone, but since the metronome was first patented (according to Wikipedia, so it must be true...) in 1815, and Handel had no electronic gadgetry, only his famous pitch-fork tuning-fork, every Baroque woodwind master must have learnt to play in tune and in time without neither metronome nor a tuner...

Umm... I find I can't argue with that.

#17 AmateurSaxPlayer

AmateurSaxPlayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Member: 887720
  • Manchester

Posted 06 January 2014 - 13:08

Wow I got to say guys, the new Rovner 1RL Ligature is amazing. I don't know if its a psychological improvement but the sound feels deeper and more mellower. I really like a deep woody sounding sax, and this certainly gives me a similar sound to the kind of sound I like.

Going to go and practice like mad today as I have a new toy.... :D

#18 saxophile

saxophile

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts
  • Member: 70062
  • Yorkshire

Posted 09 January 2014 - 13:28

Wow I got to say guys, the new Rovner 1RL Ligature is amazing. I don't know if its a psychological improvement but the sound feels deeper and more mellower. I really like a deep woody sounding sax, and this certainly gives me a similar sound to the kind of sound I like.

Going to go and practice like mad today as I have a new toy.... :D

Enjoy your new toy!  Myself, I've always stuck with the metal ligature, on the principle that its function is just to hold the reed firmly in place, and therefore it can't affect the sound, but I'm aware there are other schools of thought ;)

However, I'd second what ChrisH has said: I would really wait until your embouchure (and breath support) has settled before shelling out on a new mouthpiece: they're not at all cheap.  The Yamaha 4C is what I started on, and I didn't get a new mouthpiece until I was at least 2 years in and around Gr 4 standard.  It can be argued that having to work against a less than optimum mouthpiece encourages you to develop lots of techniques for producing the tone you really aspire to - and that will just make your playing even better when you do finally decide to upgrade ... :)  

#19 AmateurSaxPlayer

AmateurSaxPlayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Member: 887720
  • Manchester

Posted 09 January 2014 - 20:23

Well its (the Yamaha 4C) is okay for now. Its far from perfect but then again nor is my playing. However in honest it seems to fair a lot better than the original stock mouthpiece. But I am still only a beginner so its still early days.

Another thing I have done today is started to play a bit with a 2 strength Rico reed, instead of the 1.5's. Hoping that it will aid me in strengthening my embouchure and technique so I can hit the higher notes and the lower notes on the Sax. It will take time, but at least with my tuner I can make sure that the sound I make is true to what the note should be, and that with the metronome can keep the right tempo throughout my practices. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, metronome, learner, sightreading, practice