#1 recorderplayer

recorderplayer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Member: 888370

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:35

I'm wondering how you all organize your practice sessions? (because I wonder if what I do is efficient)

My daily 45-60 minutes session 5 to 6 days a week:

- about 10 minutes exercises (scales, arpeggios, breathing technique...)

- 10-15 minutes improving a piece I can already more or less play

- 20-30 minutes working on a new or rather new piece I'm learning

- 5-10 minutes playing 1 or 2 pieces I can play rather well to end the session on a positive note

On Sundays I play just for fun depending on my mood.

For your info, I started proper recorder lessons with a recorder teacher a few months ago - I never took proper lessons before, but with what I'd learned in music class at school and my grade 6 with distinction in music theory (from when I played the piano as a kid/teenager) my teacher put me in a group preparing grade 5 after checking my level on several pieces.

#2 blokperson

blokperson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Member: 888082

Posted 22 June 2014 - 16:50

I'll bet we all have different styles! :) I'm in a similar position, being a beginner who started playing recorder and taking lessons this year. I average about 120 hours of practice a month (although more lately), and I tend to think of my practice in larger chunks than what I do on a daily basis. For example, one week, I may decide that I want to practice mostly long notes, or mostly sight reading, or, most often, problem areas in a particular sonata.

For example, I've just spent about 2 hours playing the same bar in one piece, because it worked best with an alternative fingering that I wasn't used to, so I needed to drill it to feel comfortable with it. So I guess I'm sort of ad-hoc, but I do try to think carefully about what I need on any particular day or week.

#3 Hammer2014

Hammer2014

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Member: 888289

Posted 26 June 2014 - 18:24

I've been experimenting with my schedule over the past couple of weeks, and this is what I've refined it to now (I play the cello):

-10 mins - Open string bowing exercises

-20 mins - Scales and arpeggios

-10 mins - Sight reading

-20 mins - Examination pieces

-15 mins - The piece my teacher assigned at last lesson - generally something that focusses on a specific technique.

-Total 75 mins

I try to do this session 2-4 times per day. I'm a fan of the 'do a little, a lot', approach, and I also find that by breaking each session up into these blocks I can maintain a good level of concentration for the full session. I've tried doing fewer, longer sessions, but I find once I go beyond 80 mins my concentration starts to waver and the quality goes downhill fast. At 75 I'm still keen to do more.

I'm curious to see what other people are doing, as I'm always keen to improve my system!

H

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: practice