andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10651 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 03 January 2016 - 15:52

If you would like something modern, Richard Rodney Bennett's Conversations is definitely worth thinking about. I've used it a lot with more advanced students.

#17 flautando

flautando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Member: 312889
  • N.W. Britain

Posted 06 January 2016 - 09:58

The list is growing daily!
Jen Cluff on her site also has a huge list.
There's masses out there, that's why I always find it helpful when people say what they have particularly enjoyed or found approachable. The only trouble with learning duets is if you haven't got a regular partner, you can spend a lot of time learning something that you may be then only able to play with your teacher, or for a one-off occasion.

Dorfmouse I have a great free app 'voice record pro' on my ipad which enables me to play and record one part and then play along with it. Very good quality sound. Even just playing tricky bits to see how they fit together has been really useful, and I'm no tech wizard!
btw Just Flutes has a 50% off sheet music sale at the moment.

#18 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1165 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 06 January 2016 - 18:06

Thanks all!
A sale .... more temptation ..... oh no!!

#19 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1165 posts
  • Germany

Posted 30 July 2016 - 18:41

Revival time!
I played the Duo Seraphim with my teacher over several lessons last term; interesting, strange and enjoyable! I'd love to play it in a church.

Am digging out the two Voxman books to do sightreading over the next few lessonless weeks. Has anyone got any particular favourites from them?

#20 flautando

flautando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Member: 312889
  • N.W. Britain

Posted 31 July 2016 - 14:43

Hi dorfmouse, yes great idea to do some sight reading with the duets. I don't have the Voxman books, but see they have the Beethoven Allegro and Minuet in one, which is a favourite of mine. A few weeks ago I got a great buy; Seven Easy Duets from the classical and romantic periods, published by Ricordi. It's not particularly easy, inside the cover it says medium grade and contains duets by Devienne, Vanderhagen, Hennig, Walckiers, Muller, Kummer and Tulou. Very evenly scored so one part isn't playing all the tricky stuff and the other just ploddy. They're nice and long too with variations, rondo and minuet sections, so something to get stuck in to. My flute friend and I are really enjoying them. Just wish they had seperate parts, why do publishers think it's easy to share?
I'll be looking out for the Voxman book 2 now. Enjoy fluting.

#21 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1165 posts
  • Germany

Posted 31 July 2016 - 21:03

Thanks!

#22 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1165 posts
  • Germany

Posted 19 November 2016 - 20:21

I was browsing for something to play at the music school Christmas concert and came across the Pastorale by Corelli, from the Concerto Grosso Op. 6 no. 8, also known as the Christmas Concerto. It 's arranged for two flutes and piano or harp accompaniment by Kenley Ingelfield, Alry Publications. Bought It on the off-chance and it's lovely. Will be playing it in a couple of weeks with my flute teacher, and my piano teacher accompanying. What more could I want!

#23 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1165 posts
  • Germany

Posted 26 January 2017 - 22:20

The Corelli was lovely to play and got many compliments after the concert!

Now there's a concert with a film music theme coming up and my teacher suggested we look for flute duets (possibly+ piano or guitar accompaniment) to play, again at a decent intermediate+ sort of level. I only seem to be seeing "It's fun to play..." sort of stuff . Any ideas? I suppose it could also be something classical that's been used in a film.

#24 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1165 posts
  • Germany

Posted 03 February 2017 - 20:42

OK, help from a movie buff now required!
I found this beautiful piece by Berlioz for 2 flutes and harp or piano listed on a Naxos CD of classical music in films:

L'Enfance du Christ, Op. 25: The Arrival at Sais - Trio for two flutes and harp, played by the young Ishmaelites from L'Enfance du Christ (8.553650-51 )
Mona Lisa Smile (2003

But I looked up the soundtrack listing for Mona Lisa Smile (not a film I know) and couldn't find any reference to it...... anyone got a clue? It's gorgeous and the score is on IMSLP!
I need to be able to prove it's from a film!

#25 Ilewydh

Ilewydh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Member: 665504
  • South West

Posted 03 February 2017 - 20:56

OK, help from a movie buff now required!
I found this beautiful piece by Berlioz for 2 flutes and harp or piano listed on a Naxos CD of classical music in films:
L'Enfance du Christ, Op. 25: The Arrival at Sais - Trio for two flutes and harp, played by the young Ishmaelites from L'Enfance du Christ (8.553650-51 )
Mona Lisa Smile (2003
But I looked up the soundtrack listing for Mona Lisa Smile (not a film I know) and couldn't find any reference to it...... anyone got a clue? It's gorgeous and the score is on IMSLP!
I need to be able to prove it's from a film!

It's listed on IMDb :)

http://www.imdb.com/...4415/soundtrack

#26 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1165 posts
  • Germany

Posted 03 February 2017 - 21:37

You are my favourite person in the Universe!! Thank you!

#27 Ilewydh

Ilewydh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • Member: 665504
  • South West

Posted 03 February 2017 - 21:44

You are my favourite person in the Universe!! Thank you!

Aw thanks :). You're right, it is beautiful!

#28 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1165 posts
  • Germany

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:00

OK my latest duet is Piazzolla's Oblivion, arranged by Mangani for two flutes and piano, edizione Eufonia.
A slow Milonga, smoky nightclub stuff! Both parts equally interesting. Very enjoyable.