#16 mrbouffant

mrbouffant

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1810 posts
  • Member: 33716

Posted 20 August 2015 - 19:04

Fair comment from one far more talented than me. However, I find that the Bach is too risky to stick up front. I like to ease into the recital with something less challenging to my technique. After all, with my scheme, if the Bach goes awry the examiner has had two more comfortable pieces to enjoy beforehand and the cacophony of the Langlais to banish the memory of the Bach afterwards. Examination psychology in action. I also don't like putting neo-classical and baroque next to each other, hence my preferred order ! :)

#17 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14018 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 20 August 2015 - 21:59

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be a criticism - I wouldn't know one from t'other - it was just the order that OH said he personally would put them in, as the Bach is perfection and the Hindemith is long (he always likes to start with Bach!).

Obv you need to go with what's right for you and what you feel happy with!

:)

#18 mrbouffant

mrbouffant

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1810 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:52

Certainly not taken as a criticism :D

#19 ContraBourdon

ContraBourdon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Member: 898295
  • Australia

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:56

Fair comment from one far more talented than me. However, I find that the Bach is too risky to stick up front. I like to ease into the recital with something less challenging to my technique. After all, with my scheme, if the Bach goes awry the examiner has had two more comfortable pieces to enjoy beforehand and the cacophony of the Langlais to banish the memory of the Bach afterwards. Examination psychology in action. I also don't like putting neo-classical and baroque next to each other, hence my preferred order ! smile.png

Why does it seem "the convention" to begin with a major Bach work? I also prefer to begin with something less demanding!

#20 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4307 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:12

I can think of 2 reasons. Firstly, JSB has been knocking around the repertory for hundreds of years and so he has a chronological advantage, if that is the way a performer chooses to build their programme. Secondly, his style is very often close to a scale work-out, and so gets the limbs and digits flexed and ready for business, although it is a brave and unusual performer who goes straight into their recital 'cold', so to speak.
Having said all this rubbish, I have not inflicted my organ playing on a paying public but am preparing for an associate dip early next year and am wondering if I can squeeze in the Monnikendam Toccata (because it is short and I'm pushed for time) at the end. Yes, I shall begin with Bach. (Wachet Auf - and I can't understand why it is on the list because it feels around G 6-7!)

#21 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4307 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:19

Edit - Not sure if MrB went for the FTCL?

#22 mrbouffant

mrbouffant

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1810 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 19:01

Sadly not. I have taken up playing for cathedral visits instead. Lots more fun.