#1 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3979 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 08 June 2016 - 13:31

On another forum, I saw the question asked, "Are you allowed to have finger tapes/dots on your violin during exams?"

I would assume not, but I couldn't find an answer in the exam bumph.

Anyone know for sure?

#2 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22935 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 08 June 2016 - 15:17

You are allowed to play off piano music with every note name written in and fingering for every note.....

#3 willobie

willobie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2844 posts
  • Member: 4110
  • Nottinghamshire

Posted 08 June 2016 - 16:16

On another forum, I saw the question asked, "Are you allowed to have finger tapes/dots on your violin during exams?"

I would assume not, but I couldn't find an answer in the exam bumph.

Anyone know for sure?

I have a transfer student (still trying to wean her off tapes) take Grade 1 at the beginning of the year and nothing was said - she actually got a distinction...

:)

#4 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5907 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 08 June 2016 - 16:30

I've never had any problem with students going in with finger tapes or sticky dots on, although I do try to encourage them to do without by Grade 2.

#5 RoseRodent

RoseRodent

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3003 posts
  • Member: 76503
  • Scotland

Posted 10 June 2016 - 14:50

It's definitely OK. It's actually OK at any grade, though I suspect it would raise eyebrows at Grade 8! Whether you're using a visible reference point or not, you still have to achieve the exam standard, which takes careful practice. I don't use them with students who have a strong ear, but for those with weak aural I tend to have them get started wtih finger tapes so they don't place their fingers randomly when they practise. I take off the tapes in tandem with the improving aural skills. 

#6 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3979 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 10 June 2016 - 15:20

Thanks for the answers.

#7 AMG

AMG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Member: 895460

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:07

Never been an issue in my experience. I have adult Grade 5 who uses black slightly padded tape from an auto shop, which is discreet but effective! My beginner pupils often have tape if there is nobody at home who has any musical training. Losing it when they move up a violin size usually works.

#8 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3765 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 11 June 2016 - 22:52

As others have said tape/stickers on violins are acceptable in exams although my first exam was grade 3 and I had grown out of finger tapes well before then. I did have finger tapes on the beginning but by around somewhere between grades 1-2 level I had stopped using them.

I found them very helpful to start out with especially since I had no family members with string instrument experience who could help me outside of lessons.

#9 LouiseW

LouiseW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Member: 10189

Posted 16 June 2016 - 21:39

I have to confess I put an emergency finger tape on a young student's violin the day before his Grade 3 exam this week - to make sure he didn't go sharp in his exam. It worked!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Violin, Finger tapes