#31 Digby

Digby

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2073 posts
  • Member: 480

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:26

Thank you for the support. It feels quite daunting to decide to quit under the circumstances. I'm staring at the music notes and my violin and thinking I don't know when they'll be back as part of my life. Right now I can't really bring myself to it as these are such strong reminders of how I've failed as a pupil and as a friend, at playing and at resolving problems.  

If it helps anyone in similar situations, I'd say voice your concern as soon as it becomes one, before a pattern is set and mistakenly thought to be acceptable to both.   

Hi Jessica and welcome to the forums.

Please do not think that you have failed as a pupil and friend, friendship is a two way thing and you clearly respect that from your posts and as to failing as a pupil you say yourself that your technique has improved since learning with him so very clearly not a failure.  I think many on this forum would be in awe of your playing.  

It seems to me though that you are missing an emotional connection with the music, at the moment its all about the technique, maybe take a step back and try playing just for yourself for a while, maybe experiment with different styles of music, listen to new things, when was the last time you tried something modern and weird? 

I wish you all the best and please don't stop playing

#32 JessicaQ

JessicaQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Member: 895621

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:41

Looks like we're going back to normal, me continuing my attempt to memorize Bach (BTW why Bach of all has to be played memory?) and us I guess continuing to stumble along.

I'm glad though that things were brought to surface. At the minimum it made me realize how dependant I was on others and avoided making the decision on what I wanted in music. I'll try work out time to reach outside the routine of practicing and lessons and play different things with other people more, maybe as a first step. Thanks again for all your inputs and support. They really meant a lot.    

#33 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6149 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 29 July 2016 - 22:18

Jessica - good to hear from you. By the way - no one has to play anything from memory if they don't want to :) Not even Bach.

#34 Blackett and Howden

Blackett and Howden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Member: 893066

Posted 30 July 2016 - 06:40

Jessica - good to hear from you. By the way - no one has to play anything from memory if they don't want to :) Not even Bach.

Yes. Although memorising is very useful for learning works, I always play from a score, even for works I've memorised.

#35 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1350 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 30 July 2016 - 21:03

Jessica, I just came across this article while browsing flutey things. You are obviously not alone in your musical misery. Maybe it could help.
Becoming a happy, healthy musician:

https://www.justflut...lthy-musicians/

#36 JessicaQ

JessicaQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Member: 895621

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:29

Jessica, I just came across this article while browsing flutey things. You are obviously not alone in your musical misery. Maybe it could help.
Becoming a happy, healthy musician:

https://www.justflut...lthy-musicians/

Thanks so much. It's really useful to know though unfortunately I can't personally attend this particular event.

Actually with your suggestions, I've explored a bit myself in literatures on the psychology and general wellbeing of musicians, and came across a book on Alexander technique and violin performance, An Alexander Technique Approach to Violin Technique by Ethan Kind. It's in a similar philosophy to the Whole Musician, more on the practical end of techniques with focus on relieving physical stress, but offers some inspiring viewpoints too. I've a bit of experience with Alexander technique in equestrian sport so it's not difficult to apply. But it's very thoroughly explained and should be easy for anyone to experiment. I'd recommend it if anyone's interested.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: student teacher relationshp, teaching style, adult learner, violin