mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4307 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 23 February 2017 - 17:12

Finally got my results today. Just short of a pass, by only 3 marks, but I got some useful feedback on the form.

Sorry to read this -  I missed my LTCL by a similar margin so I know how it feels.

Glad the feedback is useful. Better luck next time. ( Harness the inner Grrrr! to fuel your effort)

#32 Blackett and Howden

Blackett and Howden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Member: 893066

Posted 25 February 2017 - 00:31

Many thanks, Mel and F#m. I think I will retake, as I know I wasn't up to my best on the day, so 3 marks is surmountable, I hope. Haven't really touched the pieces since then, so need to get them back under my fingers, but the break will probably have helped.

#33 jjosiejo

jjosiejo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Member: 897296

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:55

I got my results this morning, I got a distinction (singing performance) so I am going out to celebrate!

Sorry to hear you just missed out B&H, I am sure the experience will stand you in good stead next time...

#34 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4307 posts
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:25

Congratulations jjosiejo. Something very nice at the end of your wait - must be a good feeling. :)

#35 Romance

Romance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Member: 896193
  • Alicante Spain

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:54

I am very sorry to hear about your results B&H. I am sure that you will get there in the end. 

I am still waiting for my results but I live in Spain so the post takes longer to arrive.

Congratulations jjosiejo.

#36 lewdos

lewdos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Member: 895563

Posted 25 February 2017 - 14:23

All the results must be well on the way to reaching people.

I received my clarinet performance dip result and got a distinction.

No celebrating just yet as I have a gig at St. John smith Square tonight!

#37 jjosiejo

jjosiejo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Member: 897296

Posted 25 February 2017 - 17:41

Congratulations Lewdos, and fingers crossed Romance!

#38 Romance

Romance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Alicante Spain

Posted 01 March 2017 - 22:02

I finally received my results today and I failed my teaching diploma. :(  I failed the Viva Voce and Written Submission. 

I know that I have to be more articulate on the basic principles of teaching next time. I am very upset because I did work hard for it and I did get some nice comments, but at least I know what it´s all about now. 

#39 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4307 posts
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 01 March 2017 - 23:25

It is very upsetting to miss the mark. Just think how much more you will enjoy the feeling of success when you do nail it.
Chin up.

#40 Romance

Romance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Alicante Spain

Posted 02 March 2017 - 16:52

Thank you for your support mel2. I appreciate it.

I feel a little better today and I will focus on what to say on the general aspects of teaching for next time and practice strategies a lot more.

The written submission requires more of my own views and experience. The quotations comments were good so I will probably keep them in and debate them.

#41 lewdos

lewdos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Member: 895563

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:48

I am also v sorry to hear this given all of the work that goes into this, and then the waiting.

Your insight and experience of  all of the process will stand you in really good stead for when you do it again. It should give you the confidence to go for it.

For what its worth in my diploma my very strong area was the written submission and the viva. What really helped me here was:

• i looked very carefully at all of the guidance notes which were provided by ABRSM and also the examples they gave of what is good and what is not and followed it.
  • I researched a lot, (not overdoing), keeping notes in a file so when it came to putting it together i had it all in one place and was able to put it together.
  • I also looked at what may be asked at the Viva and from that developed 3 key messages that i could use around choice of programme, performance style and other compositions of that genre. I centred on these in my answers.

it worked for me on the day.

#42 Romance

Romance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Alicante Spain

Posted 03 March 2017 - 16:19

Thank you very much lewdos and well done for your fabulous result!

Yes, you are right about studying the guidance notes carefully. 

I studied the last years syllabus piano pieces but I didn´t get asked any questions on these.  I was only asked questions on my chosen three grade 6 pieces and then the examiner acting as a `pupil´. I should have come up with viable practice strategies to correct the demonstrated faults, which I realize now is what let me down, as I only commented on them in a very relaxed way, not as a teacher would have done.

As with my written submission, the quotations that I used were fine  but it was my lack of discussion or debate that I did not include that failed me (by 2 marks), and unfortunately I didn´t give answers in depth to support them during the viva.

Also, I most probably will have a few lessons by an experienced diploma teacher before I retake it, so that It will give me ideas and hopefully I will feel a lot more confident to give in depth answers.