Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Member: 486159
  • Leicester

Posted 05 November 2016 - 17:05

Hello,

Please let me know if the version here: http://imslp.eu/File...nscriptions.pdf will do. it's on page 30 of the pdf, page number 25. 

I've followed it and it seems accurate enough. 

Thanks

Keron 

#2 Blackett and Howden

Blackett and Howden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Member: 893066

Posted 07 November 2016 - 00:58

Yes, that is the arrangement listed in the syllabus, so you will be fine.

#3 Nine and a Half Fingers

Nine and a Half Fingers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Member: 893737

Posted 09 November 2016 - 21:21

I have a recording of Richard Rodney Bennett playing the Gershwin songbook  - great stuff. I've not mastered 'Liza' but have played 'The Man I Love' and I'm still occasionally trying 'I Got Rhythm', although it is proving a challenge to get it up to speed. I have the Art Tatum version of Liza on CD also - much more demanding but not as good in my opinion.

#4 Keron

Keron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Member: 486159
  • Leicester

Posted 10 November 2016 - 15:06

Yes, that is the arrangement listed in the syllabus, so you will be fine.

Thank you :) 

#5 MikeP

MikeP

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Member: 899316

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:15

Can anyone help with my question on Pedalling for  Gershwin’s “Liza”, ABRSM Grade 8 piece  ? Thanks

(I have the correct recommended edition  “Meet George Gershwin at the Keyboard”. Faber Music;   “Liza” is  pp 40 -44 in this.)  

I am confused about some of the Pedal marking in this edition:  

-          in particular first half of 2nd  full bar:   the Pedal mark is shown on the 2nd crotchet, ie 3rd quaver,  beat  (under the bass chord Bflat & Enatural & G Natural). 

-          Is that correct ?  Should it not be on the 4th quaver beat  ie the off beat (that is under the AFlat.  in the bass)

Elsewhere in bars 1, 2 and 3 the pedal mark is shown under the 4th , or 8th,quaver off beat   which makes me think that what Ive noted above could be a typo mistake

Thanks!

#6 Nine and a Half Fingers

Nine and a Half Fingers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Member: 893737

Posted 23 November 2018 - 10:43

Mike,

My copy is Warner Chappell Music but is essentially the same as yours. I think that specific pedal mark is a typo or spacing issue as I think it should be in the place you've mentioned. I notice that the pedal marks are omitted at bar 10 and bar 26 (if I've counted correctly) although there appears to be a spurious mark at the beginning of bar 9. Bars  33 & 34 look correct however and are perhaps a clue. Hope this helps.

#7 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1736 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 23 November 2018 - 12:08

I have Chappell edition and it has the same typo.  Pedal markings are rarely very accurate but here the LH pattern needs to be pedalled the same way every time.