jch48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Member: 25823
  • East Midlands

Posted 17 January 2019 - 18:36

F# minor Novelletten Op 21 no 8 is the one to go for. i did some serious and mostly enjoyable work on it a year or 2 ago. ultimately disappointed that i never got it the whole way through to the 'play to my teacher' level. the best bits are brilliant but I'm not sure every bar is equally inspired. good luck

Thanks the first one is pretty straightforward, but I haven't looked at the others yet, will have ago at No 8 this evening

https://www.youtube....h?v=T8nt65zvhgk

#257 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17415 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 17 January 2019 - 20:14

F# minor Novelletten Op 21 no 8 is the one to go for. i did some serious and mostly enjoyable work on it a year or 2 ago. ultimately disappointed that i never got it the whole way through to the 'play to my teacher' level. the best bits are brilliant but I'm not sure every bar is equally inspired. good luck

Thanks the first one is pretty straightforward, but I haven't looked at the others yet, will have ago at No 8 this evening

https://www.youtube....h?v=T8nt65zvhgk

Thanks jch.  Will listen to that later.  Have just played it through, not overly difficult from a technical point of view, but 'doable'. However its longer than all the others, rather a lot of 'sections'.  Faschingsschwank is a bit like that.  

#258 Nine and a Half Fingers

Nine and a Half Fingers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Member: 893737

Posted 18 January 2019 - 13:43

I do wish I could play more Schumann - a composer I like very much indeed. I continually try to get the exquisite Op 111/2 (Drei Phantasiestucke) to an acceptable standard, but I find the central C-minor section very troublesome. The stretches are awkward but it is more than that - getting the top notes to stand out and controlling those left hand octaves. Outer A-flat sections are just so beautiful it makes the practice worth it though. Anybody else play this?

#259 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17415 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 19:18

I do wish I could play more Schumann - a composer I like very much indeed. I continually try to get the exquisite Op 111/2 (Drei Phantasiestucke) to an acceptable standard, but I find the central C-minor section very troublesome. The stretches are awkward but it is more than that - getting the top notes to stand out and controlling those left hand octaves. Outer A-flat sections are just so beautiful it makes the practice worth it though. Anybody else play this?

I do play a lot of Schumann but I dont know those, or have the score.  They are mainly the earlier works I play, Papillons, Davidsbundler, Fantasiestucke Op 12, Faschingsschwank aus Wien, Arabeske Op18 (not difficult).  Of the later works I particulalry love playing the 9 pieces of Waldscenen, none is harder than Grade 8, several have been set at that grade.

#260 Bach's Garden

Bach's Garden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Member: 899210

Posted 10 April 2019 - 22:00

I've just started "Awakening in the woods" by Burgmuller. I've also returned to one of easier Beethoven sonatas in G - Op.79. I like the first movement. I think its the one on the current G8

#261 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17415 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:06

Rachmaninov  Etudes-Tableaux . Starting with Op33 No 7 , but probably try some more. I have a gap in my repertoire for late Romantics, not my favourite period of piano music.  Tend to go straight from early romantics to 20th century.  But I loathe Brahms !

#262 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:09

Bach WTC Bk 2 no.14

Rameau, La Poule

Messiaen, Regard des hauteurs

and John Adams, China Gates – a whole new challenge of a kind I haven't experienced before

#263 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17415 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:34

Bach WTC Bk 2 no.14

Rameau, La Poule

and John Adams, China Gates – a whole new challenge of a kind I haven't experienced before

My favourite WTC. Have performed a few times.  Straightforward prelude, fugue tricky in places. Its set LRSM

#264 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:26

I've started re-acquiring Bartok's Mikrokosmos. I'm on volume 3 at the moment.

Since my keyboard has a harpsichord setting, I've been playing Handel's D minor suite HWV437.

And yesterday I contemplated getting volume one of Beethoven's piano sonatas (since it contains the Pathétique, which was the last piece I formally studied), and it was £20 for about 400 pages, which seemed like value for money, but I'm away for much of the time looking after ageing parents, so it will have to wait until I'm permanently back in London.

#265 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 11 April 2019 - 15:33

Bach WTC Bk 2 no.14

Rameau, La Poule

My favourite WTC. Have performed a few times.  Straightforward prelude, fugue tricky in places. Its set LRSM

The fugue seems to be tricky just about everywhere at the moment.

#266 Invidia

Invidia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • Member: 12564
  • London

Posted 11 April 2019 - 19:53

Messiaen, Le Traquet Stapazin (Catalogue d'oiseaux no.4).

Now I'm thinking about stuff I could play with it in a recital (possibly for a diploma?) Not selected anything for definite yet...