jch48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Member: 25823
  • East Midlands

Posted 17 January 2019 - 18:36

F# minor Novelletten Op 21 no 8 is the one to go for. i did some serious and mostly enjoyable work on it a year or 2 ago. ultimately disappointed that i never got it the whole way through to the 'play to my teacher' level. the best bits are brilliant but I'm not sure every bar is equally inspired. good luck

Thanks the first one is pretty straightforward, but I haven't looked at the others yet, will have ago at No 8 this evening

https://www.youtube....h?v=T8nt65zvhgk

#257 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17257 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 17 January 2019 - 20:14

F# minor Novelletten Op 21 no 8 is the one to go for. i did some serious and mostly enjoyable work on it a year or 2 ago. ultimately disappointed that i never got it the whole way through to the 'play to my teacher' level. the best bits are brilliant but I'm not sure every bar is equally inspired. good luck

Thanks the first one is pretty straightforward, but I haven't looked at the others yet, will have ago at No 8 this evening

https://www.youtube....h?v=T8nt65zvhgk

Thanks jch.  Will listen to that later.  Have just played it through, not overly difficult from a technical point of view, but 'doable'. However its longer than all the others, rather a lot of 'sections'.  Faschingsschwank is a bit like that.  

#258 Nine and a Half Fingers

Nine and a Half Fingers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Member: 893737

Posted 18 January 2019 - 13:43

I do wish I could play more Schumann - a composer I like very much indeed. I continually try to get the exquisite Op 111/2 (Drei Phantasiestucke) to an acceptable standard, but I find the central C-minor section very troublesome. The stretches are awkward but it is more than that - getting the top notes to stand out and controlling those left hand octaves. Outer A-flat sections are just so beautiful it makes the practice worth it though. Anybody else play this?

#259 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17257 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 18 January 2019 - 19:18

I do wish I could play more Schumann - a composer I like very much indeed. I continually try to get the exquisite Op 111/2 (Drei Phantasiestucke) to an acceptable standard, but I find the central C-minor section very troublesome. The stretches are awkward but it is more than that - getting the top notes to stand out and controlling those left hand octaves. Outer A-flat sections are just so beautiful it makes the practice worth it though. Anybody else play this?

I do play a lot of Schumann but I dont know those, or have the score.  They are mainly the earlier works I play, Papillons, Davidsbundler, Fantasiestucke Op 12, Faschingsschwank aus Wien, Arabeske Op18 (not difficult).  Of the later works I particulalry love playing the 9 pieces of Waldscenen, none is harder than Grade 8, several have been set at that grade.