#31 The Great Sosso

The Great Sosso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Member: 887899

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:48

Not wanting to practise is very different to not wanting to play.  If they want to play (ie if they want to develop their ability on that instrument), our job as parents and teachers is to encourage them to practise, sometimes by quite stern means if necessary, to help them towards their goal.  

If they don't want to play then we should not be forcing them to practice or to take lessons at all.

TGS x

#32 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22255 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:14

Both my children liked the idea of being able to play but also both realised that they didn't want to do so enough to want to put in the effort.

#33 The Great Sosso

The Great Sosso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Member: 887899

Posted 22 March 2017 - 13:53

Both my children liked the idea of being able to play but also both realised that they didn't want to do so enough to want to put in the effort.

Yes, I mentioned on another thread some time ago that I really liked the idea of being able to do the splits before my 40th birthday, but then quickly realised I didn't want to do 30 minutes of painful stretching every day!

However, I foolishly told my pilates teacher about my goal and now she incorporates leg stretches into all of our classes, and has told the class that she is going to get me into the splits eventually.  Suddenly I find motivation is returning!  I'm not stretching every day, but a few times a week, and I am getting there!  It takes a combination of internal and external motivation when the going is hard.

TGS x