#1 WillRoberts

WillRoberts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Member: 897255
  • Royal Tunbridge Wells

Posted 12 March 2017 - 14:44

I don't know if others feel this is an issue, but I struggle to find un-patronising learning material for teenage or adult beginners and end up writing a lot of little things for them to play as exercises.  This week I had some spare time and decided to invest it in putting down some sight-reading / short studies for my two older beginners who are only a month or two in and not yet up to the grade 1 sight reading books I have.  Having bothered, I thought I may as well share, so if any 'cellists would like this set of 18 4-bar exercises for early-days beginners, here you go:

https://wrobertsmusi...er-cellists.pdf

#2 cestrian

cestrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Member: 253314
  • Wales

Posted 22 March 2017 - 17:05

Thanks. Just out of interest, and also being a bit cheeky..., what would you do with a potential G8 (hypothetically, you understand) who has sight reading jitters?

#3 WillRoberts

WillRoberts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Royal Tunbridge Wells

Posted 30 May 2017 - 14:43

Is this hypothetical person practising any ensembles, or could (s)he?  An orchestra or, better, string quartet helps a lot, as it's sight reading both in front of others and with the pressure of a steady pulse, meaning that stopping or faltering in rhythm isn't an option.  Failing that, buy the complete Beethoven Sonatas (you want them anyway) and play a page/movement a day.  There are just a few bits you can allow yourself to skip...

#4 cestrian

cestrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Member: 253314
  • Wales

Posted 30 May 2017 - 14:55

Thanks. Strangely enough I started on Beethoven yesterday. As to the rest, I do all except orchestra. Hard finding one that plays music I like and also doesn't beat you up for not being able to play in 6 flats. Two cello holidays in the next two months will also help.

#5 WillRoberts

WillRoberts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Royal Tunbridge Wells

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:19

I like the sound of a 'cello holiday'.  What's that and where's the brochure?!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cello, sight reading