dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 18 November 2018 - 09:54

Thanks , Sopsax, yes. The song in question is specifically Lulajze Jesuniu, a beloved Polish Christmas carol and the choir has some quirky harmonies. However, I got down to it last week and am quite chuffed with my effort! My teacher checked it out and simplified a couple of overambitious jumps.
I've chosen to play Pampuch's arrangement of Pachelbel's Canon, and Betty Paret's Berceuse de Noel for my entry into the solo world!!

#47 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 18 November 2018 - 10:20

Choir conductor: "Dorfmouse, do you think you could accompany one of the carols in the Advent concert?"
"Ermmm...."
"Yes, just make up a simple accompaniment! And it'd be silly to have the harp there for just one song wouldn't it - the audience would love to hear a couple of short pieces! Not many harps round here."

Guess what I'm doing in a couple of weeks. Not one to be called chicken, me. Gulp!!

Just seen this! That's wonderful! They'll love it and it'll be soooo much fun preparing, I'm sure!

#48 sopsaxharpflute

sopsaxharpflute

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Member: 889297
  • The Netherlands

Posted 18 November 2018 - 18:27

Sounds great, Dorfmouse, congratulations with your entry in the solo world.

#49 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts
  • Germany

Posted 30 December 2018 - 13:38

Just checking in to wish you all the very best for 2019. It'd be lovely if some new people would join us, or to hear from some of the people who used to post.

Well, my solo debut was a real roller coaster. The Pachelbel went completely off the rails and only got back on to the right chord on the last bar. I exaggerate not! The Berceuse was super and I really enjoyed playing it. The carol accompaniment was OK, but the choir went so flat I didn't feel comfortable. No way of tuning down to match them!

So onwards and sideways. I'm having a go at harmonics as I seem to produce some nice ones accidentally in the right hand when crossing under .... !

Am continuing with my resolve of lots of "simple" pieces that can sound beautful and Irish slow airs are great for this. I'll revist some of the pieces that I gave up on previously that were just a bit too much e.g. a couple of Bernhard Andre's Ribambelles. Unfortunately there's not enough time and energy in the week to do as much as I like, what with piano, choir and (aarrrgh!) preparing for a flute exam.
But I decided to definitely retire at the end of this academic year, which will free up the daily 2-3 hours of terror on the Autobahn. So I'm glad to have made a head start on this lovely instrument.

Would love to hear about other people's progress!

#50 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:47

dofmouse - you so inspire me but sadly, I got a little way and then damaged my hand badly... so the harp fell by the wayside yet again!!! I'm sure you're right about getting some pieces you feel good about - I'm sure that will build confidence. I'm not saying, I'll never learn the harp but I think it's parked for a bit! I do wish you all the best with retirement. It was the best thing that ever happened to me because without it other wonderful things would never have happened. I hope yours is joyous too!

#51 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts
  • Germany

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:49

So sorry to hear about your hand Zixi, I hope it's better now. Your harp will call you again one day, however it also makes a lovely bit of furniture!

#52 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:17

I bent some fingers backwards on my right hand as I did a handstand from tripping over the flex on an electric blanket around November 1st! The two worse joints (3 and 4 on the harp) have just now started to work properly. The harp is still on the agenda but not until I recover my recorder position as I have a recorder teacher now!!! dorfmouse - you really are inspirational. And I love your optimism! It's a joy! I don't regret for one moment the time I spent with my harp; I will do so again! Happy Harping New Year!!!