MusicMatters!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Member: 897542
  • United States

Posted 17 December 2017 - 19:09

i've been getting back to singing in the last few days and decided it was time to look more seriously at the quick study. Specifically...have I really a hope in ###### of passing it!! I even started to consider Trinity as an alternative diploma but after discussing it with your good selves here on the forum, I have pretty much decided against Trinty diplomas. Firstly because their repertoire lists are not at all as well structured as AB's and secondly I could not stomach the idea of spending endless hours working on my music and then t o find the examiner wasn't even a singer themselves...its not on in my humble opinion!

I'm also beginning to wonder if my fear of the quick study is a tad irrational? My general assumption up to today was "No matter how hard I try, I am totally going to mess it up. I'll get so stressed out in the exam room, I haven't a hope unless my sight singing drastically improves"....today I decided to test the theory.

I printed out the sample test from the AB's website and sat at the piano. I also for the first time started working on the music back to front...OMG..What a difference! At the end of about 7/8 minutes, I sang the test through and although I certainly made mistakes, I do believe i would have done enough to pass as I did have the dynamics right, the rhythm accurate and the general shape of the music....woot.gif woot.gif

There's hope! lots more practice to do, but theres hopesmile.png

It sounds like you are making lots of progress! Don't fret over the quick study. I would say that both the Dip and L quick studies were easier in the exam than the samples they put online.  I took my LRSM last week!! Thank goodness that is done with...!  The recital was ok (couple of memory slips, but nothing drastic), quick study was fine and the viva was hard to judge!  They definitely asked more open-ended questions for the LRSM than the Dip. Now I have to wait 3 months to find out how it really went as opposed to how I think it went...  Do you have an exam date in mind?  Have you sketched out a programme yet?  I can see from your thread that you have been doing loads of interesting research and exploration!

Many thanks for your reply. And congrats on doing your exam! It does seem like a long wait, I guess you have to just put it out of your mind and one day get a surprise in the mail :) No matter how it goes (positive or negative), it is such an achievement to actually be at the level of doing it! hurrah.gif

i'm afraid my Dip preparations are stagnant at the moment. I have a chronic condition which often doesn't allow me to sing for weeks at a time. At the moment, that's where I'm at. But on the positive side, it does mean that I can spend lots of time researching, watching documentaries, the other things I love. In reality, I may never be stable enough healthwise to take the exam....who knows, never say never...depends on many factors...but I have studied so many pieces from the Dip and LRSM, at least I can feel confident that should I be reliably upright in the coming years, I'll might know the exam backwards biggrin.png wub.png

#62 jjosiejo

jjosiejo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Member: 897296

Posted 20 February 2018 - 15:56

i've been getting back to singing in the last few days and decided it was time to look more seriously at the quick study. Specifically...have I really a hope in ###### of passing it!! I even started to consider Trinity as an alternative diploma but after discussing it with your good selves here on the forum, I have pretty much decided against Trinty diplomas. Firstly because their repertoire lists are not at all as well structured as AB's and secondly I could not stomach the idea of spending endless hours working on my music and then t o find the examiner wasn't even a singer themselves...its not on in my humble opinion!

I'm also beginning to wonder if my fear of the quick study is a tad irrational? My general assumption up to today was "No matter how hard I try, I am totally going to mess it up. I'll get so stressed out in the exam room, I haven't a hope unless my sight singing drastically improves"....today I decided to test the theory.

I printed out the sample test from the AB's website and sat at the piano. I also for the first time started working on the music back to front...OMG..What a difference! At the end of about 7/8 minutes, I sang the test through and although I certainly made mistakes, I do believe i would have done enough to pass as I did have the dynamics right, the rhythm accurate and the general shape of the music....woot.gif woot.gif

There's hope! lots more practice to do, but theres hopesmile.png

It sounds like you are making lots of progress! Don't fret over the quick study. I would say that both the Dip and L quick studies were easier in the exam than the samples they put online.  I took my LRSM last week!! Thank goodness that is done with...!  The recital was ok (couple of memory slips, but nothing drastic), quick study was fine and the viva was hard to judge!  They definitely asked more open-ended questions for the LRSM than the Dip. Now I have to wait 3 months to find out how it really went as opposed to how I think it went...  Do you have an exam date in mind?  Have you sketched out a programme yet?  I can see from your thread that you have been doing loads of interesting research and exploration!

Many thanks for your reply. And congrats on doing your exam! It does seem like a long wait, I guess you have to just put it out of your mind and one day get a surprise in the mail smile.png No matter how it goes (positive or negative), it is such an achievement to actually be at the level of doing it! hurrah.gif

i'm afraid my Dip preparations are stagnant at the moment. I have a chronic condition which often doesn't allow me to sing for weeks at a time. At the moment, that's where I'm at. But on the positive side, it does mean that I can spend lots of time researching, watching documentaries, the other things I love. In reality, I may never be stable enough healthwise to take the exam....who knows, never say never...depends on many factors...but I have studied so many pieces from the Dip and LRSM, at least I can feel confident that should I be reliably upright in the coming years, I'll might know the exam backwards biggrin.png wub.png

Just got my results through (at last!) - I passed, thank goodness.  Comparing the comments from the examiners in this exam with the last one... for my Dip exam, the examiners commented negatively on a couple of technical issues but really liked the performance.  For this one, they (different examiners) were v happy with the technical aspects, but really didn't like my performance style - they thought I was way too understated. I didn't approach the performance any differently from last time!  It just says to me that it is so totally subjective and the personal preferences of the examiners play a big part in the marks you end up with...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: singing diploma, dipabrsm, singing