#46 Acciaccatura

Acciaccatura

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Member: 897241

Posted 21 June 2017 - 19:43

And a flute bag with room for sheetmusic

Just idly curious how that might work. Does the music get bent?

#47 Lemontree

Lemontree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Member: 39970
  • Germany

Posted 21 June 2017 - 20:00

And a flute bag with room for sheetmusic

Just idly curious how that might work. Does the music get bent?

Nope it won't. Just wait and see. I have still an awful lot to do so it will take a while. But since I am at the moment boasting/bursting with happiness and pride of what I already achieved there is no chance I will something like that go unmentioned once it is done. That is really quite a handful of work! 

#48 Lemontree

Lemontree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Germany

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:28

Grade 9ish....? :unsure:

yeah, according to justflutes, who lean on the ABRSM syllabus. Only that they stop there and don't distinguish any further. So it's hard to tell how much more difficult a piece is.

#49 Lemontree

Lemontree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Germany

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:23

2 days

#50 Lemontree

Lemontree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Germany

Posted 05 July 2017 - 17:40

How many hours?

I had so much fun today. First, I had a huge feast in our local sheetmusic store. And afterwards, I played the new sheetmusic from sight with my teacher.

Bach: Musical Offering Trio Sonata

Satie: Gymnopedies I-III

Reinecke: Ballade (1st movement)

That was so great. 

#51 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6997 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:23

How many hours?

I had so much fun today. First, I had a huge feast in our local sheetmusic store. And afterwards, I played the new sheetmusic from sight with my teacher.

Bach: Musical Offering Trio Sonata

Satie: Gymnopedies I-III

Reinecke: Ballade (1st movement)

That was so great. 

Grrr.  I hadn't expected the Reinecke Ballade to go onto one of the grade lists. :(  Bit surprised that it has, as I think it is a little bit above the normal grade 8 standard (I assume that as it's on the new syllabus it must be grade 8 - it would be a bit steep for grade 6 or 7).  I had it mentally earmarked as something I would use as part of my programme if I decide to actually do  ATCL/DipABRSM at some point, and you can't use anything that's on a current grade list. :(

#52 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10643 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:48

I'm a bit puzzled, Flossie, as I can't see the Reinecke Ballade on the new ABRSM syllabus. Also, while Trinity state that you can't use anything on a grade list for their diplomas, ABRSM don't have that restriction (and both the DipABRSM and LRSM lists include pieces that have previously been set for Grade 8).

#53 Lemontree

Lemontree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Germany

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:49

Grrr.  I hadn't expected the Reinecke Ballade to go onto one of the grade lists. :(  Bit surprised that it has, as I think it is a little bit above the normal grade 8 standard (I assume that as it's on the new syllabus it must be grade 8 - it would be a bit steep for grade 6 or 7).  I had it mentally earmarked as something I would use as part of my programme if I decide to actually do  ATCL/DipABRSM at some point, and you can't use anything that's on a current grade list. :(

It isn't, Flossie. That's my summer piece my teacher gave me. I actually am sitting in front of the computer and have a hard time at least selecting some pieces. The Hamburger Sonate bei C.P.E. Bach is on the list and my teacher is nagging me for months now to get a go on this since I am not so head over heels for Baroque. But so is J.S. Bach's BWV 1035 which I like a lot. The Devienne would be an idea. But I don't like to do a Mozart. I am not such a fan of his, and I have done one last time. I don't know the Rossini though. I might have to search in Youtube for a sample. 

The Contemporary section isn't any better. There are a variety of interesting options. But none of them makes me hit the roof. Although I don't know the Albeniz piece. I have to search that on Youtube, too. Otherwise it comes down to Poulenc, Roussel, Clarke or Martinu. 

And what on earth did they think in the solo section? Probably nothing. I really miss that Piazzola tango. I was all for it. But that leaves me with Bach or Köhler. Does anyone of you guys now what piece this is? They only say 76 graded studies. But I have the complete books from Koehler. But they don't say which book or number that would be. 

#54 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6997 posts
  • N.E. England

Posted 06 July 2017 - 14:12

It isn't, Flossie. That's my summer piece my teacher gave me. I actually am sitting in front of the computer and have a hard time at least selecting some pieces. The Hamburger Sonate bei C.P.E. Bach is on the list and my teacher is nagging me for months now to get a go on this since I am not so head over heels for Baroque. But so is J.S. Bach's BWV 1035 which I like a lot. The Devienne would be an idea. But I don't like to do a Mozart. I am not such a fan of his, and I have done one last time. I don't know the Rossini though. I might have to search in Youtube for a sample. 

The Contemporary section isn't any better. There are a variety of interesting options. But none of them makes me hit the roof. Although I don't know the Albeniz piece. I have to search that on Youtube, too. Otherwise it comes down to Poulenc, Roussel, Clarke or Martinu. 

And what on earth did they think in the solo section? Probably nothing. I really miss that Piazzola tango. I was all for it. But that leaves me with Bach or Köhler. Does anyone of you guys now what piece this is? They only say 76 graded studies. But I have the complete books from Koehler. But they don't say which book or number that would be. 

Ah.  I thought the pieces you mentioned in your earlier post were the ones you'd just been playing from the new syllabus - I hadn't looked at the syllabus yet.

I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of the new syllabus for any of the grades (seems too focussed on trendy pieces for children rather than offering a balance).  Glad to see the Gaubert Madrigal back at grade 6 and the Berkeley at 7.  What were they thinking, though, with splitting the Faure Fantasie in two?  :wacko:   The entire thing is supposed to be grade 8...

From the grade 8 list, the Hamburger Sonata is nice and is fairly accessible - it's one of those pieces that just kind of falls under your fingers easily without too much work.  For playing it really well, the challenge is in the interpretation.  Careful with youtube clips because some of them play it at a ridiculous speed.  I think it is more classical than baroque, but it is kind of on the border.  The Martinu on list B is lovely.  The Aztec Dances are good if you like that sort of thing, but I found them a bit weird when I tried them.  I'm sure the Roussel used to have two movements for grade 8.  The Clarke Hypnosis and the Poulenc are very popular.  I prefer the 3rd movement of the Poulenc to the first.  I don't think I know any of the C list pieces.  Have tried bits from the James Rae book and the Taggart Pictures before and weren't that keen.  I don't think you're allowed to do two pieces by the same composer (you certainly aren't with Trinity).

The book with the Adams and Kohler studies is this book: https://www.justflut...uct1378047.html  I think is is relatively new.  Don't muddle it with the original 76 graded studies books.  

Anyone know what the extended range scales are supposed to be?  I've never bothered to learn any of the extended fingerings above top D because I've never had any desire to extend my flute playing beyond the instrument's standard range (surely a piccolo is better for playing the notes in the flutes extended range? It was at least designed to go that high).  The syllabus says that they are on p.15, but p.15 shows the grade 5 pieces list.  

I have to say that I still much prefer the Trinity syllabus...

#55 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6997 posts
  • N.E. England

Posted 06 July 2017 - 14:34

I'm a bit puzzled, Flossie, as I can't see the Reinecke Ballade on the new ABRSM syllabus. Also, while Trinity state that you can't use anything on a grade list for their diplomas, ABRSM don't have that restriction (and both the DipABRSM and LRSM lists include pieces that have previously been set for Grade 8).

I've just looked, and what on earth are the Bach Partita, Godard and Honegger doing on the LRSM list??   :blink:  I'm nowhere near LRSM standard and did them quite a while ago.  I'm also very surprised at the York Bowen and Trockne Blumen on FRSM, because everything on that list should be totally and utterly beyond me.  I absolutely love the York Bowen - it's one of my favourite things to play - but it really shouldn't be on that list.   :wacko:

#56 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10643 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 06 July 2017 - 15:36

I've just looked, and what on earth are the Bach Partita, Godard and Honegger doing on the LRSM list??   :blink:  I'm nowhere near LRSM standard and did them quite a while ago.  I'm also very surprised at the York Bowen and Trockne Blumen on FRSM, because everything on that list should be totally and utterly beyond me.  I absolutely love the York Bowen - it's one of my favourite things to play - but it really shouldn't be on that list.   :wacko:

It's much more about interpretation than mere playability at this level. I played the Mozart D major concerto for my LRSM and I had to work far more on it than I had when I'd played the first movement for my Grade 8 - and gradewise none of the movements is harder than Grade 8. There are some technical whizz-bangs for those that way inclined, but more on the LRSM syllabus than the FRSM.

The Trinity diplomas tend to go more for technical than musical challenges, I've found, and that applies to the singing syllabuses as well as the flute.

#57 Lemontree

Lemontree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Germany

Posted 13 July 2017 - 18:33

Oh, I just love Reinecke's Ballade op. 288. That piece is just unearthly lovely.