Lemontree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • Member: 39970
  • Germany

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:52

some flutists still alive? Where have you all gone?

They are probably where you were....
wink.png

Hopefully not. I went into hiding because of a thumb muscle injury which kept me from practicing my regular amount.

#62 ellie_the_little_elephant

ellie_the_little_elephant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Member: 45895
  • Manchester

Posted 24 October 2017 - 14:52

That sounds painful, Lemontree!
I’m currently working towards the ARSM which will probably be in the summer; so far I’ve tentatively chosen the Handel C major and the Taffanel Andante Pastorale, with maybe Ibert Jeux or something else. I’ve also just started the Chopin variations on a theme of Rossini.

The Martinu is gorgeous, and I love the Poulenc. Haven’t heard the Fertility Dances and it does seem weird splitting the Faure up. (I did, um, Bach E minor (I think), the Enesco and a Boehm that was alternately in lots of flats and lots of sharps for my grade 8).

#63 helen_flute

helen_flute

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 26 October 2017 - 16:00

Hello fellow flutes! I've been desperate to join the discussion, but my registration has taken ages to get sorted out.

I have been gradually re-discovering my love of music over the last year or so, and started having flute lessons for the first time in 26 years earlier in the summer. I've not looked back, and am so enjoying it.

Having sat Grade 6 in 1991, I'm now looking to work towards doing my Grade 8 in about a year, depending on progress (probably Trinity rather than ABRSM, to avoid singing in the aural tests). There's lots to work on, but it's a wonderful thing to be back.

I'm currently working on Bach Partita Allemande, Prokofiev Sonata in A Minor (3rd movement) and Kennan Night Soliloquy. I love the Prokofiev, sort of love the Bach and am struggling a bit with the Night Soliloquy. We'll see!

It's lovely to find somewhere with like-minded people!

#64 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1175 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 26 October 2017 - 20:23

Welcome and congrats on your return to flute!

#65 helen_flute

helen_flute

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 21:10

Thank you! It’s really been such a joy.

#66 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7013 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 17 November 2017 - 21:53

Help needed...

I am completely stumped by the Liebermann Soliloquy.  There is no time signature or bar lines and I can't work out where the beat is to establish a pulse.  I've found a couple of recordings, but haven't managed to pick up a pulse from them either.  It is a solo piece, so no piano or orchestra part to help.

Any suggestions?

#67 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4329 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 17 November 2017 - 22:29

Help needed...

I am completely stumped by the Liebermann Soliloquy.  There is no time signature or bar lines and I can't work out where the beat is to establish a pulse.  I've found a couple of recordings, but haven't managed to pick up a pulse from them either.  It is a solo piece, so no piano or orchestra part to help.

Any suggestions?

I expect it would be like following a knitting pattern (but you like those. ;)) but I'm sure you will have read the stylistic analysis by Lisa Garner; from this there doesn't appear to be a pulse. I did wonder if it was inspired by a piece of prose or poetry but apparently not.
It (the thesis) looks a fascinating piece of analysis though and worth a read.

#68 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7013 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 17 November 2017 - 23:19

Help needed...

Any suggestions?

I expect it would be like following a knitting pattern (but you like those. wink.png) but I'm sure you will have read the stylistic analysis by Lisa Garner; from this there doesn't appear to be a pulse. I did wonder if it was inspired by a piece of prose or poetry but apparently not.

No, I haven't come across her analysis?? 

#69 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4329 posts
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 18 November 2017 - 00:02

Help needed...

Any suggestions?

I expect it would be like following a knitting pattern (but you like those. ;)) but I'm sure you will have read the stylistic analysis by Lisa Garner; from this there doesn't appear to be a pulse. I did wonder if it was inspired by a piece of prose or poetry but apparently not.
No, I haven't come across her analysis??

Https://scholarship.rice.edu/handle/1911/19160
I think that's the link -I had to memorise it because I don't know how to copy and paste on this device. Hope it helps.

#70 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4329 posts
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 18 November 2017 - 00:21

...bear with it; some way down you can 'read the whole item' and click 'open' to download the pdf.

#71 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 01 December 2017 - 18:19

...bear with it; some way down you can 'read the whole item' and click 'open' to download the pdf.

I am trying to learn the flute.  I had a good teacher who moved away and have not been able to find one since that suits me so I am doing it on my own.   I have had a coupe of lessons recently with a Saxophonist and he plays mainly jazz.   He is very highly qualified in Jazz but I want someone to teach me classical.   I tried another teacher and it went horribly wrong because although she was trained in flute she does not have a very nice approach and I felt ill at ease with her so I am not going back.

I can remember some things from what I have been taught so I will just go at my own pace on my own and maybe look for a teacher after Christmas

#72 helen_flute

helen_flute

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 19:52

What a shame you're finding it so difficult to find a teacher who "gets" you. Hopefully you can have some fun working at your own pace and find someone suitable in the New Year.

#73 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 01 December 2017 - 20:23

What a shame you're finding it so difficult to find a teacher who "gets" you. Hopefully you can have some fun working at your own pace and find someone suitable in the New Year.

Yes thanks.   The most recent teacher said have half hour lessons and then as you progress and get better you will need hourly lessons.    I play piano up to Grade 5 standard and still only half half hour lessons. My piano teacher only give hourly lessons for those taking Grade 7 or 8 exams.     Also the flute teacher said I pay too much attention to what I am doing wrong rather than just playing.  She told me to play a tune or exercise and not stop half way through because its not going as it should.  I played at home the same stuff she got me to play in our lesson and I played much more confidently and did not feel as if I was about to drop the flute when I play the note C.     I said to her I will go home and do lots of practice and she said that is all very well but you do not want to practice over a over if you are doing it wrong.

Sorry but practice is the key and I take that approach with piano and it works.  Once I am shown what to do and how to do it then I practise as I am told and taught.  I am not a child who will practice incorrectly.   Yes if I am trying something new I would understand but if I am practising something in the manner to which I have been told then I will not go wrong.