Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Member: 68406
  • North-east

Posted 21 May 2017 - 16:11

Hi

I'm not having regular lessons at the moment but I thought I'd learn Shule Aroon in anticipation...

However, I am having problems working out the fingerings in the RH for the first few bars, and then the same later on when it shifts into the LH.

Has anyone played it and remembers how to finger it?

The only way that falls under my fingers is to do (F-A-B-C--D-C-B-A) with (4-3-2-1--4-3-2-1 and repeat). 

However, if I learn this and then find out there's another, better, way I'll be terribly frustrated. So I took to Youtube and had a good look at people's RHs and although its really hard to see people's RHs generally, I found this one:

https://youtu.be/GCR...JyyuTlva8yRAcgV

I can see that she isn't doing it the way I have been, but I'm not a visual learner and I can't make out what she *is* doing!

Can anyone help, please?  :blush:

#2 erard

erard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Member: 716

Posted 26 May 2017 - 17:55

The only way that falls under my fingers is to do (F-A-B-C--D-C-B-A) with (4-3-2-1--4-3-2-1 and repeat).

I can't match those notes to any version of the tune I know, nor does the fingering you give match the notes you give to my mind.  If you do an image search to find the tune you want I will try to suggest fingerings.

#3 Collyermum

Collyermum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • North-east

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:54

Thank you, Erard.  Its the Kim Robertson version as set for Grade 6. I have taken a photo of just the beginning here:

https://www.flickr.c...7/shares/YJFf7F

I really appreciate your help, thank you!

(I just read again my first post, and I wasn't as clear as I could have been.  I am placing 4-3-2-1 and then bringing 4 over for the top note - not placing again the group - and then going down again with the original 3-2-1. Does that make more sense?)

#4 erard

erard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 19:42

That makes much more sense - I would write that in playing order - not placing order, so 4321 4 123 and I was trying to match it up with the melody so no wonder it wasn't working.

The first two suggestions which come to mind are seeing if you prefer 4321 3 123 - putting the 3rd under rather than the 4th. The challenge with this fingering is ensuring precise control of the top note.

Or have you tried 321 212 12 (or 421 212 12)? This last fingering is what the player in the video is doing. 

Hope this is some help.

#5 Collyermum

Collyermum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • North-east

Posted 29 May 2017 - 17:54

Thank you Erard, I have given those a go, and the 3-2-1-2-1 fingering works much better for me than what I was doing!

Much appreciated, thank you so much for your time.

#6 erard

erard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 19:22

You're welcome - enjoy the piece!

I would probably also choose 32121 for security - but if the same notes were much faster would use 43213.