#1 Vox Humana

Vox Humana

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts
  • Member: 58391

Posted 24 May 2017 - 15:44

Does the Creative Commons structure have any recognition in UK law, or is it just wishful thinking?

#2 Barry Williams

Barry Williams

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1322 posts
  • Member: 20603
  • Beddington, Surrey

Posted 30 May 2017 - 17:47

As far as I can make out. this is a USA organisation with no arrangement or reciprocal agreement in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.  I may have missed something, but that is the initial impression.

Barry Williams

#3 Vox Humana

Vox Humana

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 18:33

Thank you very much indeed for your reply, Barry. That is more or less what I suspected. I was thinking that if I took some English composer's piece that had been released under a "Creative Commons - Non Commercial" licence  and sold copies of the score, or a recording of it, for profit the composer would have to seek redress using the standard English legislation. Not, I hasten to add, that I intend doing any such thing - I was just curious!

#4 Dafydd_y_Garreg_Wen

Dafydd_y_Garreg_Wen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 897765

Posted 13 June 2017 - 14:45

Does the Creative Commons structure have any recognition in UK law, or is it just wishful thinking?

It isn't really a case of "recognition". As the Creative Commons Wikipedia entry accurately states, the U.S. non-profit organization Creative Commons "is only a service provider for standardized license text". These licences were originally devised to work with U.S. intellectual property law.

?The opening paragraph of the article is a useful summary:

https://en.wikipedia...reative_Commons

However, C.C. now provides international copyright licences:

"One of CC’s goals is ensuring that all of its legal tools work globally, so that anyone anywhere in the world can share their work on globally standard terms. To this end, CC offers a core suite of six international copyright licenses (formerly called the "unported") that are drafted based largely on various international treaties governing copyright, taking into account as many jurisdiction-specific legal issues as possible. The latest version (4.0) has been drafted with particular attention to the needs of international enforceability."

In addition, there are "ported" versions of these licences optimised for particular jurisdictions, but these are obsolescent:

"For version 3.0 and earlier, Creative Commons has also offered ported versions of its six core licenses for many jurisdictions (which usually correspond to countries, but not always). These ported licenses are based on the international license suite but have been modified to reflect local nuances in the expression of legal terms and conditions, drafting protocols, and language."

Ported licenses are available both for England and Wales, and for Scotland.

Thus in essence the answer to your original question is not "no" but yes.

#5 Dafydd_y_Garreg_Wen

Dafydd_y_Garreg_Wen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 897765

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:36

Thank you very much indeed for your reply, Barry. That is more or less what I suspected. I was thinking that if I took some English composer's piece that had been released under a "Creative Commons - Non Commercial" licence  and sold copies of the score, or a recording of it, for profit the composer would have to seek redress using the standard English legislation. 

Yes, but that's how the Creative Commons "system" works. It's a private philanthropic initiative that operates within national and international copyright law, not an official organisation with its own niche in U.S. (or any other) law.

#6 Vox Humana

Vox Humana

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 20:44

Thank you for that.