jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2306 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Stoneclough

Posted 30 July 2017 - 20:05

I've never appealed a result in all my 40+ years of teaching. Can ayone advise me how to go about this if I do decide to?

#122 bevpiano

bevpiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Member: 7837
  • hertfordshire

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:17

Trinity exams this morning. As it's a private visit we'll be getting the results when the examiner leaves around 1pm, so not a very long wait! It's quite a scary moment when he hands us the mark sheets.

#123 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41580 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:28

Congratulations to you all, and even you barri-clari (even though you are not happy) :

Thanks.
I suppose I should be happy : the two lovely distinctions and easy merit should make it so : but the fail was such a big round fail...so it's onwards and upwards... :(

#124 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2306 posts
  • Stoneclough

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:39

I've never appealed a result in all my 40+ years of teaching. Can ayone advise me how to go about this if I do decide to?

I see from the website that, for a theory re-mark, I would have to fill out a formal appeal form and that it would cost 50% of the exam fee to do so.  

#125 Masanta

Masanta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Member: 33729

Posted 31 July 2017 - 16:26

Finally got my daughters ARSM result from 27th June! She got a distinction :lol:

So put with my flute students across ABRSM and Trinity thats 4 distinctions and a merit this session.

Wine will be opened this evening  :D

#126 Masanta

Masanta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Member: 33729

Posted 31 July 2017 - 16:29

As for appeals, I have only ever appealed a practical exam result with Trinity once and it was fairly straight forward and was successful. I had a similar issue with a theory exam where the student transposed in the wrong direction and got 0. I can't believe it was all wrong so thought she would have been due some marks but apparently not.

Unless it changed the category I don't think I'd bother appealing though, but if you do, Good luck!  :)

#127 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2306 posts
  • Stoneclough

Posted 31 July 2017 - 20:43

I now know a bit more about appeals - the only way to appeal a theory result is to ask for a re-mark. If the mark given is then higher, no fee is required but if the mark stays the same, 50% of the exam fee is applied. The mum of the pupil would like to do this so I'm applying for a re-mark tomorrow. 

#128 bevpiano

bevpiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Member: 7837
  • hertfordshire

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:03

We were very pleased with 7 distinctions (including all 4 grade 8s) and 5 merits from Trinity yesterday. This was a group of 4 teachers, my own results were grade 8 distinction x 3, grade 3 merit x 1. This was in addition to 9 distinctions and 9 merits 10 days ago. Both examiners said they were very impressed with the high standards. We have mostly been very pleased with Trinity exams since starting them less than 2 years ago (we still offer Abrsm but more people are opting for Trinity). The examiners seem to reward musicality. There has only been one examiner we found harsh and he was a guitarist (most of our candidates are piano).

#129 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2013 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:50

Finally got the boy's grade eight singing - 124 - which is excellent, especially as he now tells me he totally messed up his folk song! But it was six weeks in coming, and even allowing for it having to go to the JD first (they emailed as soon as they got the results, because we'd all waited so long. Normally they send them on) that is way too long.