#16 Digby

Digby

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2048 posts
  • Member: 480

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:05

That's interesting. I haven't used Trinity for a long time, but when I did, I always felt the grading was harder than abrsm. I do sometimes use LCM and feel that is on the easy side for the grade.

I used to think that but just recently I've had merits for kids that I would have barely passed and then felt miffed as kids that really should have got distinction didn't with the same examiner. So kids who, in my opinion, had put in vastly different effort levels and produced massively more accomplished performances were only coming out a few marks different to the scrapers.  I know that nerves etc play a big part but still weird.  

I also feel they are disproportionately more generous with the lower grades than the higher ones but I guess that encourages the beginners whilst maintaining the standard for the higher grades so the quality is comparable to ABRSM.   

#17 ontheblackkeys

ontheblackkeys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Member: 895988

Posted 21 June 2017 - 18:40

Honestly, am I missing something with the first 3 grades and initial, they all seem to be a grade out of where I'd place them?

They're also fine for the little kids who habitually don't practise particularly well but there is nothing for the more mature learner.  

Yes, they're SO much easier, I would have put most of the music in the first three grades one grade lower. It doesn't do anything for Trinity's reputation for being on a par with ABRSM.

Hmmm...I haven't bought mine yet and this is disappointing to hear.  I like Trinity because I have youngsters who would struggle with the singing part of ABRSM aural tests and also for the Initial exam option but if the pieces are so much easier than ABRSM, it devalues the exams a bit.

#18 jpiano

jpiano

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1946 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 21 June 2017 - 19:18

I've tended to use Trinity in the past more for the higher grades for people who either aren't suited to the multiple scale permutations of ABRSM, and/or prefer the aural and greater flexibility in styles of pieces. This year I've got my first grade 1 and 2 Trinity entrants on the current syllabus because the children have found the pieces so much more appealing than ABRSM. I also think some (not all) of the pieces are slightly easier- but the other way I look at that is that I think some of the ABRSM grade 1 and 2 pieces this year are overly difficult for that level (as well as being insufficiently appealing to motivate lots of practice). Will reserve judgement till I see the new ones. If they are easier it could be a positive thing- I've said for ages that grade 1 for pianists is too difficult in comparison to other instruments and that a change in the phasing between the grades is long overdue. Worrying that people are finding the Trinity earlier grade pieces on the dull side, though. Why, why, why when there is so much really lovely piano music available?

#19 BannerdaleMusic

BannerdaleMusic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Member: 895699

Posted 22 June 2017 - 22:33

Yes - so far so good! I like the Initial and grade 1 selection - I have (grudgingly) bought the Raise the Bar and Piano Solos books. I am finding the current ABRSM grade 1 just too hard for my tinies - much harder than 2015/16 & have switched quite a few to LCM as the love learning the much more popular tunes. I've a few Trinity pupils working from grade 2- up to grade 6. The new grade 2 is much less inspiring than the 14-17, I've just today given a lad an old syllabus as it has a years overlap & the new grade 2 is much less 'jazzy' - although another 2 terms of Mexican March, Ländler, Penguin Parade and The Swing Detectives might just finish me, the kids loved it!

I like 3/4/5/6 - although 6 is on the easy side. The Lord of the Rings is gorgeous but should prob be grade 5. Also like that there's a Satie Gymnopodie on the list. The 5 I think is a similar level to ABRSM, I particularly like the Haydn Andante, the Diabellia & the Bartok which you could mix with some great modern pieces by Norton / Cornick. It doesn't have enough Romantic repetoire on this list for me... but that's personal choice!

Some other good core repetoire at lower grade, but all seem to be on the alternative list. I love the Schumann Album and use it across grade 3-5 pupils so Wilder Reiter will definitely be making a regular appearance, alongside the Hushaby Mountain arrangement which seems quite friendly and tuneful, and Sunrise on the Matterhorn which is lovely!

I like the Ben Crosland pieces and the Waltz Mystique, and Tango Passionasis at grade 4 (I think the composer has a couple of nice pieces included on the syllabus')

The Splash book has Raindrops included which was on the ABRSM grade 2 last year, and then Trinity have included a piece arc grade 1, and at grade 4 from the same book. I really like the book! Great imaginative pieces.

Trinity is never going to be for everyone, but I'm finding the ABRSM grade 1 & 4 quite hard going at the moment- so is nice to have alternatives!

I haven't looked at 7 or 8 as my high achieving pupils are all ABRSM.

#20 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19562 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 23 June 2017 - 14:23

I'm in the process of preparing a student for a Trinity exam (grade 6) after many years of doing only AB. Could someone tell me whether there is a similar overlap period to that offered by AB for the change to the new syllabus? We are expecting to do the exam next term, but would be handy to know!

Am also welcoming some fresh input - finding AB hard going at the moment! Especially the grade one pieces, which I cannot wait to see the back of!

#21 Ilewydh

Ilewydh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Member: 665504
  • South West

Posted 23 June 2017 - 14:36

I'm in the process of preparing a student for a Trinity exam (grade 6) after many years of doing only AB. Could someone tell me whether there is a similar overlap period to that offered by AB for the change to the new syllabus? We are expecting to do the exam next term, but would be handy to know!

Am also welcoming some fresh input - finding AB hard going at the moment! Especially the grade one pieces, which I cannot wait to see the back of!

From their website:

"2015-2017 syllabus and overlap arrangements

There will be a one-year overlap between syllabuses, during which time candidates may offer pieces and technical work requirements from either the 2015-2017 or 2018-2020 syllabus, but not a mixture of both. There is no overlap for supporting tests, and the previous aural tests and improvisation tests can therefore no longer be used."

#22 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19562 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 23 June 2017 - 14:53

Thanks very much! I'm still finding my way around their website.

#23 Ilewydh

Ilewydh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • South West

Posted 23 June 2017 - 14:58

No problem, it's certainly not the easiest.  I'm not certain why they mentioned the supporting tests as they've been in use since January this year anyway

#24 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1705 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 23 June 2017 - 17:16

Did the aural tests for the higher grades ( 6-8) change as well in Jan, does anyone know? It's been over a year since I had anyone take these.

Sorry, just being a bit lazy, as their website isn't the easiest to negotiate, much as I love Trinity in just about every other respect.

Their current Grade 1 selection ( valid for all of 2018 too) certainly knocks socks off the AB pieces, if you fancy checking them out, maggiemay :).

#25 Ilewydh

Ilewydh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • South West

Posted 23 June 2017 - 17:18

Did the aural tests for the higher grades ( 6-8) change as well in Jan, does anyone know? It's been over a year since I had anyone take these.
Sorry, just being a bit lazy, as their website isn't the easiest to negotiate, much as I love Trinity in just about every other respect.
Their current Grade 1 selection ( valid for all of 2018 too) certainly knocks socks off the AB pieces, if you fancy checking them out, maggiemay :).

Yep, 6-8 had new ones as well :)