5 replies to this topic

#1 helenpes

helenpes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 888058

Posted 19 June 2017 - 20:50

I have my Grade 8 Piano, Grade 6 Theory and am working towards the Diploma in Music Teaching DIPABRSM with a mentor of my own and have started teaching beginners the Piano.

I wondered if anyone knew of any Professional Bodies that I might be eligible for as I do not meet the eligibility criteria for the two that my Mentor provided (ISM and MMA I believe).

I want the Professionalism that joining would bring and the additional benefits such as Public Liability Insurance and DPS checks.

Would anyone be able to help? 

Thanks

Helen

#2 Fazioligirl

Fazioligirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Member: 893432
  • Kent

Posted 19 June 2017 - 20:58

EPTA is specifically for piano teachers. Membership gives you public liability insurance and they are able to help with DBS checks as well ( although you only really need this if you intend to teach in schools). I've been teaching piano privately for over twenty five years and no one has ever asked if I've been checked ( I have) or asked to see documentation.

#3 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1705 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 19 June 2017 - 22:05

EPTA is considerably cheaper than the ISM, for much the same benefits. Their PTC is well worth doing - comprehensive details, reading materials etc are on the website. The magazines are really good, and they organise interesting local events and competitions. When I worked as a peri in schools, the ISM was quite useful, but not so much now that I only teach from home.

#4 Piano Meg

Piano Meg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Member: 271350
  • T' North

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:54

I think with EPTA, you'd be an associate member now, but when you've done your DIP in teaching, you'd be eligible for professional membership (which includes listing on their teachers' register).

#5 helenpes

helenpes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 888058

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:43

Thanks for all your comments, much appreciated. I will have a look at EPTA. Helen.

#6 PianoNotes

PianoNotes

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1009 posts
  • Member: 87217

Posted 24 June 2017 - 19:49

Yes, absolutely, you can be an Associate Member now and upgrade your membership to "professional" when you have finished your diploma.