hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:03

This is a fingering question...

The first couple of lines have the same LH chords (D,A below the bass clef, plus the same chord an octave higher.  The editorial fingering is 5-2 followed by 4-1.  I don't understand why you wouldn't just use the 5-finger position seeing as these chords are 5ths...?

In bar 10, the chords are 6ths (F,D, followed by the octave above).  The proposed fingering is 5-1 followed by 4-1.  Again, it would seem more normal to use 5-1 for the second chord...

I'm using "Easy Piano Compositions" but the piece is also in "30 Children's Pieces" and I'm wondering if there's any difference in the editorial fingerings between the two editions, and if there's a reason why I shouldn't change the fingering?

:anyone:

#2 Ilewydh

Ilewydh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Member: 665504
  • South West

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:08

It seems bizarre to change the fingerings, as you said, but just to let you know there are no fingering suggestions at all in 30 Children's Pieces so if it were me I'd do what was most comfortable  :)

#3 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22767 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:19

Just had a look and a try.

For the first I like the suggested fingering as it helps to give a more fluid movement than the more static 5-1 for both chords.

For the second I find it easier to keep 5-1 for both because of the size of my hands but can see that the change could have a similar effect to the first example.

As long as what you do works and is consistent it doesn't really matter too much but I would consider thinking about how the different fingering for the chords may help you to move more freely up and down the octave.

#4 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1657 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 27 July 2017 - 17:59

I also have the piece in '30 Children's Pieces', and my natural inclination is to use the suggested fingering, in fact I would probably go even further and use 5-2,3-1.  The movement will be different for the two fingerings -- for the changing fingering you can swing the arm laterally from the elbow with the wrist turning to accommodate the change of fingers.  If you use the same fingering for both chords the wrist will stay stable and the movement will be one of pointing in one direction then the other. One advantage of the changing fingering is that on the first chord, with 2 on the A your thumb will be somewhere around C, so is nearer to its target A above. 

However at Grade 5 you may well be better off using a more straightforward fingering especially as the tempo is quite slow.  Nice piece, by the way!

#5 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 21:31

Thanks for all the answers - very helpful :)

#6 Tezes123

Tezes123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Member: 894783
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted 07 August 2017 - 17:24

Hi,
I'm playing the same piece from the 30 Children's pieces book, there are no suggestions on fingering so I just used what came naturally and that is 5-1 for the chords you mention. Best of luck x

#7 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 21:59

How are you getting on with it, Tezes123?  I'm working on making the LH leaps without looking, and I can do it about 8 out of 10 times but it's not consistent. 

#8 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22767 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:35

How are you getting on with it, Tezes123?  I'm working on making the LH leaps without looking, and I can do it about 8 out of 10 times but it's not consistent. 

Which fingering are you going with? 

I think that 5-2 3-1 is the better bet for accuracy as it's not as big a move.

#9 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:28

Hi sbhoa, I've tried a few different fingerings and I'm still not sure which is best.  When I had my lesson, my teacher suggested something completely different.  He asked me to try using 5-2 followed by 2-1 as it's the least distance to travel.  So that's the one I've been using for the last few days, at least to start off with.  I'm OK with that, but I find that a bit further down the page, I use either 3-1 or 4-1.  My mind obviously hasn't made a commitment yet ;)

#10 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:39

I've mentioned this too in another thread, but I was just wondering why you don't want to look at your LH for those passages? I don't know the music at all I'm afraid, so maybe it really would be difficult to look? But I would have thought that looking, with a guarantee that you would end up in the right place, would be better than not looking - even if you improved that ratio from 8 out of 10. Unless you were 100% sure, you would have that worry going into an exam.

I'm just interested to know, really, as I mentioned in the other thread.

I have listened to the piece on YouTube though, definitely something worth working on, it's great! Good luck with it!

#11 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 13:17

Hi EllieD, if I'm looking at the LH leaps, I can't look at the music at the same time to see what my RH should be doing so I really want the LH to be automatic.  I'm sure it will come with practice but the piece is still in the early stages.  I might not play it for the exam as I'm learning a few pieces and will decide which one to play if or when I take the exam, but I'm just seeing how it goes before deciding whether or when to take the exam.

#12 Tezes123

Tezes123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Member: 894783
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted 08 August 2017 - 15:53

Hi Polkadot

I got to playing to the end of this piece a couple of weeks ago so lots to improve on (taking exam in Nov)

Just been playing the Novallette to check what I do......

Definitely use 5-1 for both sets of chords and with the octaves - also I am looking at my left hand for these jumps throughout.

At the mo it's a mixture of part memorising and looking at the musi to check what's coming next, it's a piece that jumps about a lot in the LH but I love it.

What else are you playing? I'm playing the A 2 Allegro and the B 1 Sostenuto and am at the same stage with all 3 - I've also just got to the end of one of the G6 pieces Valse Lente which I have absolutely fallen in love with :)

#13 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1657 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 08 August 2017 - 21:43

Another advantage of 5-2 3-1 fingering in the Novelette is that it brings your hand more into contact with the black keys -- which can be used for position finding rather than having to look at your hands all the time when moving.  On the first chord my second finger just touches the A flat and on the next my second finger is lightly touching the E flat.  That's enough to let me know I'm in the right position.  I would still have the keyboard in view but just with peripheral vision.