Photo

How do you like to receive your theory knowledge?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 Witzend

Witzend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Member: 892899
  • Kingston on Thames

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:52

All my theory (only to about grade 3 level so far) has been self taught. I never did any as a child, so when I went back to the piano so many years later, i thought it was about time I had a crack at it. I have used the ABRSM workbooks, with the answer books for checking, plus old exam papers, also with answer books, and the AB Guide for grades 1-5. I don't mind admitting I found it harder than I expected. but OTOH once I had worked out for myself something I found difficult, it would stick.

I've only had group lessons since returning to the piano. In my first intermediate group our teacher did try to introduce some theory now and then, but most of the class (mainly retirees like me) just weren't interested and didn't want it.

In my current advanced group (I use the term loosely, we do vary enormously, a couple are post G8) most of them already have G5 theory so we don't do it there either. I am happy to carry on on my own (not that I've done any for quite a while) since I know that if I do ever get really stuck our teacher or one of the others will be able to help.

I would like to think I could take and pass the G5 theory exam sometime, in which case I'd better get on with it!