#1 peri busy

peri busy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Member: 13449

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:20

I have been entering students for Trinity classical singing exams for many years. I now have two new pupils who are working towards LCM Musical Theatre singing exams, grades 4 and 6. These exams are new to me and of course I want to fully prepare my students. We are good with the actual singing/performance elements. 

However...

Would any of you please be able to offer some guidance re the rubrics of the examiner's questions? I have the online 'Discussion' guidelines but would very much appreciate some actual samples and of course ANY useful advice re the exams themselves. Online resources of any kind would be valuable also.

There will be detailed subject knowledge and theoretical preparation required from what I can gather - similar to sitting practicing an instrument I guess  :)

Thank you  :sing:

#2 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 12 August 2017 - 16:09

I am not a teacher but I have taken Gs 6 and 7 Musical Theatre with LCM.

For G6 I was asked how the songs were chosen, which presented the most technical difficulties in learning, and about the place in the show's plot of one of the songs.

For G7, again I was asked about how the programme was put together, I was asked for a critical appraisal of my own performance and I was asked about the biography of one of the songs' composers.  Other candidates immediately before and after me were asked similar questions, plus other shows by the same composers and how they developed their characterisations..

In the higher grades, adding information about the song/show/composer/librettist to the introductions is apparently taken into consideration.

It is important to be conversant with the plots of the shows (or the context for cabaret-type songs), the character who is singing and where in the show the songs happen, plus some context about the creation of the show and some knowledge of the composers and librettists.  I found Wikipedia provided good plot summaries and the biographical and background information I needed. 

Not a problem until you get to G7, but the most difficult part of the preparation was finding suitable libretto extracts.  I ended up transcribing from YouTube.

I hope this is helpful.

#3 peri busy

peri busy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Member: 13449

Posted 13 August 2017 - 20:33

Thank you Sylvette

Most helpful thanks.

Am thinking we shall review our goals and aim for a spring exam rather than autumn. Lots of preparation to do and not sufficient time available, in my opinion.

Any other advice and suggestions welcome - from any other sources  :)