7 replies to this topic

#1 Resinata

Resinata

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Member: 889078

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:58

I have inherited a pupil starting next term who would like to work towards Grade 5.  She has covered the work for Grade 4 but does not wish to take the exam. So I am looking for a book which includes a variety of Grade 5 and 6 pieces, so that we can spend the first term or so working on non-exam pieces before launching into Grade 5 proper.  After the exam we could then return to the book and learn the Grade 6 pieces.  It's always difficult to gain a proper insight into music online as you can at best only see little bits of sample music if you're lucky, so I'm wondering if members could make suggestions or comment on music I've looked at online. 

Has anyone had experience of using Solos for Young Violinists Vol 2 or Solo Time for Violin Book 2?  (I'm guessing the level is appropriate).  Encore Violin Book 3 has pieces at this level but I've taught them all before and would like a change!  The Robert Trory Violin Playing books look interesting and comprehensive but I don't know of anyone who has used them.  Do the Trory books come with piano accompaniments?    

Thank you in advance. 

#2 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16524 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 13 August 2017 - 15:30

Just one piece comes to mind which my daughter played for Grade 6.  The first (I think)  of 'Two Pieces' for violin by William Walton.   Quite a bit of 'harmonics' work in it if you want to introduce her to those

#3 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3337 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 13 August 2017 - 16:03

Not a book as such, but most of these I would think are available on IMSP to take a look at.

Schubert  - Sonatina in D, Op. 137 No. 1, first mvt

Schumann - Slumber Song Op.124, No. 16, arr. Kinsey

Woof - Study in B flat from - Thirty Studies of Moderate Difficulty

Woof - Study in C minor, No. 17 from - Thirty Studies of Moderate Difficulty

Elgar - Salut d'Amour Op. 12

Mozart -  Rondo from Divertimento No. 1 K229    

Dvorak (arr. Kolman) - Valse Op. 54 No. 4    

Wohlfahrt - Study in C, No. 35 from - Sixty Studies, Op. 45

Kraemer - Cossack Dance from - Gypsy Jazz, Intermediate Level, arr. Waterfield and Kraemer (Faber)

Kreisler -  Rondino on a theme by Beethoven  

#4 violincjj

violincjj

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1611 posts
  • Member: 88
  • Manchester UK

Posted 13 August 2017 - 16:25

Solos for Young Violinists vol 2 is good, nice range of pieces. You can get a CD to go with it if that's something that would help this student. The pieces are good for festivals and concerts, I'd use a studies book alongside it, probably Technique Takes Off

#5 LouiseW

LouiseW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Member: 10189

Posted 14 August 2017 - 16:51

I really like the solo time books. There is a good range of attractive pieces - and a CD to practise with the accompaniment. I've used book 1 (grades 3-4) a lot & have students who've learned every piece! Book 2 is grade 5-6 & is also very good. Agree with violincjj that Technique Takes Off would also be a good idea. The Robert Trory books don't come with piano accompaniment, but lots of the pieces are arranged for violin duet. This is more of a method book than a repertoire book.

#6 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3337 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 17:31

If you like duets, how about the Bartok duets.  They start simple and work up from there.  Great for intonation and listening to the other player as there are some really interesting chords.  If they're good enough for Perlman and Zuckerman...

#7 Resinata

Resinata

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Member: 889078

Posted 15 August 2017 - 17:55

Thank you so much for all your suggestions and all the detail you have kindly provided.  It's always difficult when starting out with a pupil who has already been learning a while as it's so easy to choose music which isn't challenging enough.  It's almost worse than choosing something that is too difficult. I have used Technique Flies High and it is good.  I might use a few other studies first though, such as the ones suggested by BadStrad, as I think Technique Flies High could be a little demanding for a pupil who is roughly Grade 4 standard at present.

Many thanks once again.

#8 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3337 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 19:08

Everything I listed has been on the grade five syllabus over the years, so hopefully they're about the right level.