12 replies to this topic

#1 EnigmaticPencil

EnigmaticPencil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Member: 9519

Posted 23 September 2017 - 15:00

Can anyone tell me what the ABRSM Grade equivalent is for the John Thompson piano course - specifically, Thompson's FOURTH grade and FIFTH grade books? I know the books were first published way back in 1945 but that is another issue; they are still in use.

#2 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13996 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 23 September 2017 - 21:46

Sorry, not a reply - but I've just noticed there were 7 1/2 years between you registering on the forums and making your first post, EnigmaticPencil!!

ohmy.pngunsure.pngblink.png

#3 EnigmaticPencil

EnigmaticPencil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:55

How time passes. Regrettably, the tardiness in my posting matches the pace of improvement in my piano playing!

#4 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2711 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 24 September 2017 - 06:28

I haven't got books 4 and 5 but I had a new student the other day who'd worked through book 3 and I would say you could learn grade 1 pieces after finishing that. Are there any classical type pieces in 4 or 5 that you could name, which would give us an idea of level.

#5 Ilewydh

Ilewydh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Member: 665504
  • South West

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:26

I'm guessing it's the John Thompson modern course for the Piano rather than the Easiest Piano Course beginner books. They are advertised in grade order, however the grade 4 book contains CPE Bach Solfeggieto, which was in the grade 6 syllabus a few years ago. I've posted a link to the book so others with more knowledge than me can give an opinion

https://www.scribd.c...Piano-4th-Grade

#6 Dharma

Dharma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Member: 364553
  • Manchester, UK

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:46

Sorry, not a reply - but I've just noticed there were 7 1/2 years between you registering on the forums and making your first post, EnigmaticPencil!!

:o:unsure::blink:

10 1/2years...

#7 EnigmaticPencil

EnigmaticPencil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 13:26

With reference to the request for sample pieces contained within Books 4 and 5 - here are some (I hope this helps)

Sample pieces from John Thompson's Modern Course for Piano:
Book 4
Beethoven 1st movement from Sonata Op2, #1
Mozart - Rondo from C major sonata
Haydn - Menuetto from Sonata in Eb major
CPE Bach - Solfeggietto
Schubert - Valse Sentimentale
Tchaikovsky - The Skylark
Book 5
JS Bach - Prelude in C maj (from #1 Well-tempered Clavier)
Mendelsshon - On Wings of Song
Mozart - Turkish March
Brahms - Waltz in Ab minor Op 39, #15
Chopin - Valse Op 64, #1
Schumann- Romance Op.28
Beethoven - Adagio from Sonata 'Pathetique'
Schubert - "Hark, Hark, the Lark"
Chopin - Nocturn in Eb Op.9 #2
Debussy - Reverie
Rachmaninoff - Melodie Op.3 #3

Thank you all for replying so helpfully.

#8 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 24 September 2017 - 13:53

Is the Mozart Rondo from K 545? That's currently on the Grade 6 syllabus for ABRSM.

#9 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22260 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 24 September 2017 - 14:55

With reference to the request for sample pieces contained within Books 4 and 5 - here are some (I hope this helps)

Sample pieces from John Thompson's Modern Course for Piano:
Book 4
Beethoven 1st movement from Sonata Op2, #1
Mozart - Rondo from C major sonata
Haydn - Menuetto from Sonata in Eb major
CPE Bach - Solfeggietto
Schubert - Valse Sentimentale
Tchaikovsky - The Skylark
Book 5
JS Bach - Prelude in C maj (from #1 Well-tempered Clavier)
Mendelsshon - On Wings of Song
Mozart - Turkish March
Brahms - Waltz in Ab minor Op 39, #15
Chopin - Valse Op 64, #1
Schumann- Romance Op.28
Beethoven - Adagio from Sonata 'Pathetique'
Schubert - "Hark, Hark, the Lark"
Chopin - Nocturn in Eb Op.9 #2
Debussy - Reverie
Rachmaninoff - Melodie Op.3 #3

Thank you all for replying so helpfully.

Are these original or simplified?

#10 Ilewydh

Ilewydh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Member: 665504
  • South West

Posted 24 September 2017 - 15:17

They are original. You can scroll through the link I put above to have a look but as I said, the pieces in the "Grade 4" book are around grade 6. Whether this is because the books were written in the 30s/ 40s is another question.

#11 EnigmaticPencil

EnigmaticPencil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 16:41

I will just provide a little background context to this post. I gained a Grade VIII with Merit in Singing (Bass/Baritone) in 1963 and a Grade VII in Theory of music, to go with it, in 1962. Back then, my piano was way too elementary to accompany myself in classical singing at that level. I moved to an new city and started work. I could not find a pianist to play for me, and more or less gave up classical singing. I then spent time learning non-classical guitar and song, as a musical alternative. I ran an amateur Live Music club in my city for about a decade in the 1980s. Since retiring (I taught psychology at university for 30 years) I have had piano lessons through to the Thompson Book 4 level. However,  at the time, I had said to my teacher that I did not want to take any examinations. I have currently put my lessons on haitus (since last January).

Over the past 10 years I have streamed just under 1600 x One-Hour concerts into the Internet Virtual Community known as Second Life. My avatar is called Fyrm Fouroux, and  I sing 10 songs per concert: 5 accompanying myself on electro-acoustic guitar and 5 doing a piano accompaniment on a Yamaha Clavinova. My teacher taught me how to vamp the piano,  improvising around chord names, (precisely how many non-classical guitarists work). That suited me just fine. However, I am working hard to bring my sight-reading to a standard where I can sing from the piano score, and NOT rely on the chord vamping and improvisation techniques.
I have now worked through Thompson Book 4 and intend to tackle Thompson book 5 over the next months. I have also more or less decided to re-start piano lessons with my teacher and to sit the ABRSM examinations. Your comments encourage me to seriously explore the possibility of having a stab at Grade VI (or possibly VII, if things go well with Thompson Book 5). So thank you all for your comments.

#12 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13996 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 24 September 2017 - 22:39

LOL Dharma!

Bagpuss will be amused.   My dyscalculia is LEGENDARY.

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

#13 Alkan

Alkan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Member: 897919

Posted 06 October 2017 - 16:16

Can anyone tell me what the ABRSM Grade equivalent is for the John Thompson piano course - specifically, Thompson's FOURTH grade and FIFTH grade books? I know the books were first published way back in 1945 but that is another issue; they are still in use.

If Solfeggietto was Grade 4 in the States in the 1940's and it is now equivalent to ABRSM Grade 6 in the UK today does that say anything about playing standards? Or are UK and US gradings different?