Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6199 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 27 September 2017 - 14:53

After a few shouty lessons, one of which involved me declaring "I can't teach you!" and flinging his music across the room (wacko.png ) we agreed to change our ways and he now does as I ask, whilst I don't push too hard - same as I'd be with my other students.  It was someone on this forum who made me examine my own attitude and I realised I was being far to tigerish with him, compared to my other students.  So maybe watch out for that too.

Now, I love teaching him and he's working towards grade 3 and really enjoying it.  He's also composing his own music, which is something I have no hand in although I am helping him learn to notate it - theory lessons disguised as fun!

Good luck with your endeavour.

TGS x

Ah yes! That one - the shouty lesson.  I don't think I ever flung the music across the room, but I did raise my voice, until DD, never one to mince her words, pointed out that I didn't raise my voice to my other pupils.   Cue mother *examining her conscience*! blink.png  embarassed.gif   So from then on, we progressed with more demure lessons, and daughter happily reached grade 5 with me, and then grade 6 with another teacher.  She still returns home and plays the piano, so I don't think I did too much harm.biggrin.png

#32 _DaVid_

_DaVid_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Member: 895117

Posted 27 September 2017 - 15:10

I shouldn't have mentioned recorders!

I would just like to say that I didn't belittle it as an instrument or as being less valid than any other, I just don't want my kids to learn it as I am not keen on it at all. Just like I dont want them to learn other instruments, it's just personal bias. If, when they're older they choose to learn the recorder, so be it. Also, the teacher who takes them for recorder lessons is no more qualified than I am as she is not a music teacher and I'd prefer to teach them myself if that is my only option.

Brainwave...I'm going to sell my motorbikes! That will give me a head start with paying for cello or piano lessons.

I think I'll check out the books recommended here and order a few, see how it goes.

#33 ten left thumbs

ten left thumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Member: 454622

Posted 27 September 2017 - 18:44

You don't want them to learn other instruments, just piano, is that right? Why not? (Not attacking you, just curious)

#34 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 27 September 2017 - 20:28

_David_, I'll forgive you: I just had to be ritually grumpy because it's a thing recorder players with a chip on their shoulder have to do.

But you're doomed, doomed: I wanted our child to develop a nice healthy interest in something like classical guitar, something quiet, beautiful, and initially not too expensive. Currently he's displaying little interest in playing music whatsoever, but the only times he's really looked enthusiastic have been with brass instruments and drum kits. We live in far too small a house for either. He met a harpist at school, which would have failed the ludicriously-expensive-instrument test, and I have to say that his opinion of Ukelele at school matches what someone posted earlier. Good luck!

#35 _DaVid_

_DaVid_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 13:13

You don't want them to learn other instruments, just piano, is that right? Why not? (Not attacking you, just curious)

Sorry, I should have said I didn't want them learning other instruments as in particular ones, not all.

I'd be happy with just about anything actually. It was just my own preference that it be piano or strings say, as these are the instruments I favour, that's all. And the only area that I have a clue about!

Thanks.

#36 _DaVid_

_DaVid_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 13:32

_David_, I'll forgive you: I just had to be ritually grumpy because it's a thing recorder players with a chip on their shoulder have to do.

But you're doomed, doomed: I wanted our child to develop a nice healthy interest in something like classical guitar, something quiet, beautiful, and initially not too expensive. Currently he's displaying little interest in playing music whatsoever, but the only times he's really looked enthusiastic have been with brass instruments and drum kits. We live in far too small a house for either. He met a harpist at school, which would have failed the ludicriously-expensive-instrument test, and I have to say that his opinion of Ukelele at school matches what someone posted earlier. Good luck!

Thanks for that :)

You know I've never actually heard the recorder played by anyone that knows what they're doing! I have no doubt it could make some beautiful music in the right hands.

My problem also regarding teaching my kids is that they are not the delightful things I imagine other people have that can be shown what is the right way to do things. For instance, my daughter blows her top when she can't get a homework question right and will not be told the answer. My son at 5, is learning well from his sister.