Photo

Diff between arpeggios and broken chords.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Happyhacker

Happyhacker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Member: 893302

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:22

OK, an arpeggio is a chord broken up to individual notes. The Jazz exam asks for these two arrangements (arpeggio and broken) of broken chords. I am trying to get the best fingering say for the D7 chord and was wondering if an example fingering is published anywhere. Thing is I don't want to learn a pattern and then when I increase tempo I find it is not optimum. By broken chord here I mean D,F#, A, C, F#, A, C, ... etc. Thanks.

#2 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:11

Assuming you are talking about piano, the ABRSM Jazz Piano Scales book gives suggested fingerings for all the scales, arpeggios and broken chords, but depending on the size and shape of your hands these may or may not be optimum fingerings for you.  The metronome mark for G4 (where broken chords first come in) is 76 crotchets/min and 88 for G5, neither of which is particularly fast.

#3 linda.ff

linda.ff

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7817 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:16

There's no technical difference really, an arpeggio is a broken chord. But when it comes to either exams or the teaching of them, I would say an arpeggio is at least a continuous octave, up and down, whereas a "broken chord" could be almost anything - in the early exams it is the chord played in successive different inversions, up and then in successive inversions down again (apart from LCM grade 1). A piece with "broken chord" accompaniment is more likely to have the chord repeated just ascending, whereas with an arpeggio accompaniment I would expect to see up and down movement. But there's no hard-and-fast definition.