#1 steinberger

steinberger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Member: 96485
  • Essex

Posted 15 November 2017 - 20:26

Not sure if this is the best area to post my question, but i wonder if there is a program that can check if my 4 part writing for a short composition follows the harmony rules. Trying to check for parallel octaves and fifths between parts etc etc is very time consuming. Will get Sibelius soon, so not sure if that will help.

#2 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3478 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:44

There is a Sibelius plugin that does a reasonable amount of checking. In particular it's good for for finding parallels.

#3 steinberger

steinberger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Member: 96485
  • Essex

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:40

Thanks. Thats a relief.

#4 Kai-Lei

Kai-Lei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Member: 4809

Posted 13 December 2017 - 15:15

I can't believe I'm reading this!

It may be time consuming but with practice your eye eventually falls on consecutives, doubled thirds and on. How would software tell an allowable consecutive or a forbidden one hidden by a passing note? 

Ah well, they'll soon have computer programs that can write the music for us.....

#5 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3478 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 16:08

Ah well, they'll soon have computer programs that can write the music for us.....

We do.  They're called sequencers.  smile.png

#6 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3478 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 16:20

I can't believe I'm reading this!

It may be time consuming but with practice your eye eventually falls on consecutives, doubled thirds and on.

I don't see the problem.  People rarely master a new musical skills without some kind of direction or feedback on their performance.  Obviously a teacher is ideal, but they aren't always available (not everyone teaches theory) and if they are, they might not want to spend an entire lesson marking umpteen harmony exercises.

Perhaps the OP wants something that will check whether their "eye" was accurate.  When you know what you are looking for and are familiar with the kinds of patterns it creates on the stave then yes it gets easier to spot them, but when you are a beginner it is helpful to have someone, or something checking your work. 

Of course if someone doesn't check their work before getting the teacher or computer to check it then it's not such a valuable learning experience.

#7 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 13 December 2017 - 17:50

Microsoft Word insists on underlining my creative speelling and has built in algorithm's to strongly resist my bad grammatical, and punctuation habits. But it doesn't stop me from writing in the style I want. I see nothing wrong with a musical spelling-checker. It might even help people like me to learn to recognise the bits that are going to be underlined.