#1 newbieflute

newbieflute

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Member: 893161

Posted 17 November 2017 - 22:24

Hi,

I have been learning the flute for a while now and I have finally decided to take my teacher’s advice and take my first music exam in the summer. I have resisted for ages because I didn’t want to take away from the enjoyment or relaxation but to be fair she is absolutely right that it has focused me on practicing my scales etc and my fingering and tone is really improving. I still can’t get my fingers to move as fast as I want them to but I am managing the grade 4 pieces (the new ones that I think are a bit easier than the old grade 4).

Anyway, I like my exam pieces but I want to buy a couple of books so I have more of a variety to play. I meant to ask my teacher for recommendations but I forgot today and she is now away for a couple of weeks. I have popped into my local music shop in the past but they weren’t very helpful and i struggle to choose pieces at the right level unless it is clearly written on the front - I always think they look too difficult! I probably need to order online as we have so much on so atm.

Can anyone recommend some music/books that should be manageable for someone at around grade 4 please. I prefer classical/baroque or folk rather than jazz or film scores but I’ll have a go at anything really.

Thanks!

#2 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7013 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 17 November 2017 - 23:17

Solos for Flute, Edited by Peck (orange and blue cover).  A range of pieces varying between grade 3-7 standard, so will last a while.  Can't remember the publisher (might be either Fischer or Schirmer, but not sure).

Faure Flute Album edited by Trevor Wye.  Mainly grades 4-6, but does include the Fantasie which is grade 8 (so something to grow into).

Elgar Flute Album edited by Trevor Wye

ABRSM time pieces series

Trinity Musical Moments series.  

Handel Flute Sonatas (Barenreiter Urtext edition, complete)  Some of the individual movements start at around grade 3 standard, some are much more challenging.  It would last you right the way up to Diploma level.

#3 newbieflute

newbieflute

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 17:53

Thank you! I'm off to have a look for these. I do love my exam pieces but it's lovely to have something new to try. Hopefully it will help my sightreading too.

#4 helen_flute

helen_flute

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 18 November 2017 - 17:59

Around when I was doing G4, I was given James Galway, Songs for Annie, as a Christmas present. It's a nice mix of classical/traditional Irish and I really enjoyed playing pieces from it. I didn't think it would still be available, as I had it back in the late 1980s, but I just had a look and you can still get it.

I'd also agree with the recommendation for the Faure Flute Album and the Handel Flute Sonatas. Some lovely things to play, and a good investment as there is plenty you'll be able to play now, but things to aim for as you progress.

Whatever you get, enjoy!

#5 newbieflute

newbieflute

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 18:14

Thanks Helen_flute,

I'm going to buy a couple now and give the rest of my list to my partner so he has some ideas for Christmas wink.png . I can't imagine getting beyond grade 4 atm - my flute teacher is always telling me that I need to have more faith in myself. It will be good to have some pieces to aim for.

#6 helen_flute

helen_flute

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 18 November 2017 - 19:11

I'm sure you will. And if you've got some books with a variety of music, you'll probably start playing something and then find it's beyond the level you think you can play.

Enjoy your new music, and good luck!