#91 SingingPython

SingingPython

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Member: 406151

Posted 29 July 2018 - 21:03

Action is the mechanism that enables a key to sound the pipes. Tracker action is where the link between the key and the pipes is entirely mechanical - basically, when you press a key a succession of rods and sticks pulls down the pallet under the pipe to let it speak. There's a diagram about halfway down this (rather technical) page that shows how tracker action works. http://www.pykett.or...gan_actions.htm

Ooh I've just started dipping into that page.  I think it might be of great interest to my son at some point.  We do run rather in the maths and physics direction in our house!

#92 TweedleDee

TweedleDee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Member: 897887

Posted 01 August 2018 - 16:28

I have had a look at some of the music for G1-3, and am quite surprised at the standard. They seem rather harder than the equivalent grades in piano, with pedals needed at G3, occasional changes of register, and using the Swell manual as well as the Great.

I have never taken any sort of music exam before as I'm in the states where such things here are rare, but I assume that the organ exams are harder than the equivalent piano exams because they expect at least some background in piano playing before moving to organ. 

I recently discovered they offer ABRSM exams in my area and I am strongly contemplating entering organ grade 3 exam this month.  I have to decide for sure in the next few days (Aug 15th deadline).  I have almost zero experience with scales which is where my biggest stumbling block will be likely.  No teacher at the moment.

Don't give up!  I am following this thread with great interest.  I have a similar background although a few years ahead of you in the journey.  It does get easier.