22 replies to this topic

#16 sheilakimberley

sheilakimberley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Member: 892909

Posted 02 January 2018 - 17:56

We rather get the impression that because his notes weren't what the examiner expected that everything else got marked down.

However, possibly a lightbulb moment here, I've managed to find an article written by Mr  Scamardella from Bedes Senior School here, http://www.bedes.org...fellowship.aspx in which he describes the process of choosing a topic for the thesis. My son has read this and now understands the requirement for the exam (hopefully now on the right track). It begins to make sense to us as to why the syllabus is so short as these pieces are 'starters' around which you choose a topic and then build a programme.

So, it now looks like we have a better grip and it looks like he will be playing Bloch's Schelomo, Crumb's Sonata for solo cello, Ligeti's Sonata for cello and Shostakovich's Concerto no 1 first movt. Strangely the topic embraces the experimentalist composer an area of composition he has found deeply repugnent in the recent past!

#17 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Member: 160

Posted 03 January 2018 - 02:10

If you truly believe that was the case, you should file a complaint. I took DipABRSM on recorder after passing DipABRSM, LRSM and FRSM on oboe. My piano accompanist pulled out a few days before my exam to take a gig (!!!) and the replacement didn’t practice (!!!) and made a huge mess of it. The examiner marked down my Viva Voce as well (13/25), while I previously got 21/25 for my oboe DipABRSM. I filed a complaint and got a free re-sit on the basis of the unprofessional judging of my Viva Voce.

We rather get the impression that because his notes weren't what the examiner expected that everything else got marked down.

#18 zizi

zizi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Member: 887331
  • UK

Posted 03 January 2018 - 12:23

Hello.

I have been reading this thread with much interest.  I am glad that you and your son might have seen a possible reason for the FR diploma not awarded, and can now move forward.  The chosen programme seems very interesting and the one which will give your son much to digest and research. 

As for the experience at Trinity fellowship diploma examination, this is very difficult to see what should have been done.  I understand that the examiners did not give sufficient time for your son to settle down and warm up before such a big performance exam, but you said you arrived late.  Whatever the reasons for which you were delayed, I can imagine this must have upset your son from the start.  There may be a room for complain if the examiners' conduct was not up to the expectation, but in this case, it may not be so.

Best of luck to your son for the next stage whichever the diploma he decides to retake. 

Zizi

#19 mrbouffant

mrbouffant

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1814 posts
  • Member: 33716

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:44

May I ask if your son got an indication from the academic director as to the suitability of the topic for his written submission? I found such discussions invaluable in formulating my eventual dissertation.

#20 sheilakimberley

sheilakimberley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 13:20

'May I ask if your son got an indication from the academic director as to the suitability of the topic for his written submission? I found such discussions invaluable in formulating my eventual dissertation.'

The nswer to that is that he is home educated, has been since age 10, and we have had to rely on local music tutors from a vanishingly small pool. He had no help at all forthe programme notes and just got it nodded through my the accompanist who did all that they could. 

This has been a problem all the way through his higher level music studies, although the accomapnist did guide him through Trinity LTCL theory quite well.

Because of his Asperger's coupled with CFS he is not well enough to handle Conservatoire or uni full time so we have got by as best we can.

#21 mrbouffant

mrbouffant

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1814 posts
  • Member: 33716

Posted 14 January 2018 - 17:45

Yes, but this is just a quick email into the right person at the ABRSM to say "Is this topic a good fit for a FRSM written submission". An early sanity check from the powers that be ensures that, at least, he is going the right route before a word has even been written.

#22 sheilakimberley

sheilakimberley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 14:05

I didn't think they did this, but I will send an email and see what happens.

#23 sheephops

sheephops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Member: 896031
  • Warwickshire

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:20

HI Sheila, 

First off, you're doing a grand job. That's not meant to be patronising at all, it's heartfelt. Some of these things are so difficult to navigate to take the right approach - I started reading the thread because I hope to take the FRSM in a couple of years' time, so all information is useful - good and bad.

Arriving late, for anyone, never mind someone with Aspergers can be really unsettling and for all the time before while you're traveling and likely not hit the right time. Given your son's needs in this respect, regardless of the time-keeping, ensuring that he was ok to continue is so very important. It's a specific need, not a whim, and should have been taken into account. I am physically disabled and recently took the LRSM. I have to say that all concerned were most accommodating and helpful and I also have a son with Aspergers and understand where you're coming from entirely with the literal approach. As a music teacher, I also understand that there's a lack of suitably qualified and willing freelance tutors around. 

You've navigated all that and are doing your very best for you boy. I raise my hat to you. Best of luck with what comes next.

Sheila (also)