21 replies to this topic

#16 2ndv5man

2ndv5man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Member: 887616

Posted 25 January 2018 - 13:24

I passed grade 5 theory 2 years ago and took some time off whilst passing grade 5 piano. When I came back to grade 6 theory I found a huge jump from grade 5, and really couldn't understand a word of it. Anyway after a year or so of working through the questions I'm now finding it very interesting and dare I say enjoyable (don't tell my teacher, mind you I could not have done it without her). I'm entered for this springs exams so wish me luck.

#17 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22489 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 25 January 2018 - 13:30

I passed grade 5 theory 2 years ago and took some time off whilst passing grade 5 piano. When I came back to grade 6 theory I found a huge jump from grade 5, and really couldn't understand a word of it. Anyway after a year or so of working through the questions I'm now finding it very interesting and dare I say enjoyable (don't tell my teacher, mind you I could not have done it without her). I'm entered for this springs exams so wish me luck.

Good luck. I remember my first look at a grade 6 paper with my 98% at grade 5 and not understanding the questions.

I've since done grade 6,7 and 8 theory. I thought 6 was the hardest.

#18 Tezes123

Tezes123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Member: 894783
  • Sevenoaks, Kent

Posted 25 January 2018 - 18:13

Hi Bleamy,
I'm sitting G6 theory at the end of Feb, it is very different to grades 1-5. I have been through the workbook and have been completing past exam papers for the last few weeks. There is a lot of new information and concepts to learn and you need to be shown formulas to work the answers out for e.g figured bass. I also agree that sometimes it's very hard to understand the actual questions ? Fortunately my piano teacher includes theory in my lessons, don't think I could have tackled it without her. Good luck :)

#19 becster

becster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Member: 888990

Posted 25 January 2018 - 18:51

Grade 6 is a crazy jump because it starts you working on lots of brand new ideas rather than extending what you've already covered. It is also far more creative rather than fact regurgitating. And now with the updated theory syllabus from grades 1 to 5 I think the leap will be even bigger.

I found grades 6 to 8 in theory hard to work on by myself as there is always more than one possible answer and also so many subtle ways to lose marks that you might easily miss some if you tried marking yourself.

I was lucky enough to make contact with someone who taught me online. It worked really well. I can't recommend getting a teacher enough.

#20 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:55

Good luck Bleamy, I really enjoyed theory when I did it - a long time ago now and I think the syllabus has changed a lot in quarter of a century! I definitely found it challenging, but very satisfying when you can do it. If I get time I will have another look as I have forgotten so much!

I hope your tendinitis is improving? I know it can take a long time for that to get better as tendons don't heal quickly. Has a physio been able to help? 

#21 Mochtegernvrtuoso

Mochtegernvrtuoso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Member: 897912
  • Adelaide

Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:44

I did the Gr 6 exam late last year and - surprisingly - passed, despite running out of time as I spent too much time on the composition questions inlc figured bass so when it came to the analysis questions I was exhausted and couldn't  concentrate any longer :-(. The Grade 5 in comparison (done earlier that year)  is relatively straight forward.

Will attempt the Gr 7 exam this year but this time with a teacher rather than completely self taught and hope for a better mark..

it is is hard work but keeps your brain cells entertained!!!

#22 Clarimoo

Clarimoo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1883 posts
  • Member: 71829

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:18

Hi Bleamy,

like many other posters I found the jump from Grade 5 to Grade 6 huge;  but as consolation Grade 7 felt like just a hard Grade 6. Now that Ive left it a few years I look at Grade 8 and think "wow, that is way beyond my capabilities".

Having said that, I remember before I did G5 thinking that it was impossible, and feeling completely lost because I didn't know how to tackle the material....it took me several years and many different books before I got the hang of it but then afterwards I look back and think "but it was easy, why did I find it so hard?".

I have bought the Victoria Williams books and am very impressed. My plan is to use the books to revise G6 nd G7 and then one day (in my dreams) complete the set by sitting G8.

Good luck with your studies and ask questions here, I have found there are always lots of very knowledgable people here to help.