#1 The Great Sosso

The Great Sosso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Member: 887899

Posted 26 January 2018 - 14:28

I have a young student who has gone through Piano Adventures Primer and is currently on PA Level 1.  She's enjoying it, but rather slow to progress and I think needs more consolidation at the "PA Level 1" level before she goes on to Upgrade 0-1 (which is what I have done with other students in the past) and from there to grade 1.  Her technique is slow to come along, and her reading likewise.

Could you lovely people recommend some attractive repertoire books at this level for me to peruse?  It might be that the Piano Adventures ones are appropriate, but I always feel a bit dazed looking at the range of books in that series.  I can only browse online as my local music shop does not stock Piano Adventures, so it's hard to get a feel for the content.  I've noticed the Piano Adventures have books of popular tunes, jazz and blues and classics - but I'd prefer a broader repertoire book.  I don't want her to have to buy more than one.  In addition, the PA series is confusing me as their "Students Choice" repertoire book at Level 1, is a horizontal binding, rather like the Primer, so should I be looking at Level 2 which is the first vertically-bound repertoire book???  All very confusing.  Perhaps something away from PA would be good, to give her experience of reading things that are formatted differently, different size stave and so-on.  All suggestions will be appreciated and investigated.

Many thanks,

TGS x

#2 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 26 January 2018 - 15:00

The Famous and Fun Deluxe books have a mixture of styles of pieces. Probably book 3 . I think book 2 might be too easy although it might be more PA level 1 standard.

#3 ontheblackkeys

ontheblackkeys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Member: 895988

Posted 26 January 2018 - 15:38

I know you said that you might want to move away from Piano Adventures, to give more variety but what about the Performance books that go alongside Level 1?  There is the regular Level 1 Performance book and also a Gold Star Performance book, which is a bit more advanced - I'm using both with different pupils and I would say that the regular Performance book is better for using alongside the lesson book whereas the Gold Star Performance book is more of an overall consolidation and a good bridge between levels 1 and 2

#4 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2072 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 26 January 2018 - 17:37

I regularly  use both of the PA Performance books. You can find them very cheaply on amazon. If you also want something in a different format, there  is 70 Keyboard Adventures of the Little Monster - imaginative stuff, with the reservation that the first volume is based entirely round Middle C 'position'.

#5 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8034 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 26 January 2018 - 20:09

I regularly  use both of the PA Performance books. You can find them very cheaply on amazon. If you also want something in a different format, there  is 70 Keyboard Adventures of the Little Monster - imaginative stuff, with the reservation that the first volume is based entirely round Middle C 'position'.

Second book of the Little Monster is consistently magic!

#6 SingingPython

SingingPython

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • Member: 406151

Posted 26 January 2018 - 20:34

I wonder whether someone like this would benefit from learning some pieces by ear and/or actively memorising them, in order to have something they can develop their basic technique on without the reading getting in the way.

#7 becster

becster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Member: 888990

Posted 26 January 2018 - 20:39

I've been using June Armstrong's Safari and Ben Crosland's Magic Beans with beginners. They (and I) LOVE them! Plenty of pieces for rote learning and then exploring notation, which means students can play gorgeous sounding pieces even though they can't read notation.

#8 BannerdaleMusic

BannerdaleMusic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Member: 895699

Posted 06 February 2018 - 23:42

Have you seen the 'Just imagine' books 1&2 I regularly use these fun pieces for children at pre level. Most of the tunes sound impressive when they're finished by are learnable mostly by ear. There's also 'My Kind of Music', book 2 is around grade 1 level.

#9 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1759 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 07 February 2018 - 13:11

I also like the Little Monster books especially for pupils who find reading difficult.  It's a pity that they are rather expensive and also that they don't move more out of Middle C position.  I use some of the pieces in the second book as teacher/pupil 'duets' (with the pupil learning both hands separately).  The element of improvisation in some of the pieces gives non-readers a chance to use their imagination.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Piano