Photo

Have I reached my ceiling of skills at Grade 1?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 michael N

michael N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Member: 309573
  • W.York's UK.

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:38

I can't think of arpeggios in terms of note names -- they fly past too quickly for my aged brain! I just think of wbw ones as triangular, while www ones are more linear. I've just tried (never tried this before) to play D major with my eyes shut and once I got stably into pattern I could do it quite easily. (Not being modest, I would say I'm rubbish at arpeggios.)

I've analysed why I'm making frequent mistakes with arpeggios. It's mainly the left hand thumb under (obviously on the way back down). So with D major arpeggio the D key is obscured by the hand on the return. If I say the note D to myself just before attempting to play it the mistake is eliminated or rather the mistake occurs much less frequently. I suspect that once it's really in the fingers I won't have to say that note name.

#62 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22491 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 09 February 2018 - 13:22

I can't think of arpeggios in terms of note names -- they fly past too quickly for my aged brain! I just think of wbw ones as triangular, while www ones are more linear. I've just tried (never tried this before) to play D major with my eyes shut and once I got stably into pattern I could do it quite easily. (Not being modest, I would say I'm rubbish at arpeggios.)

I've analysed why I'm making frequent mistakes with arpeggios. It's mainly the left hand thumb under (obviously on the way back down). So with D major arpeggio the D key is obscured by the hand on the return. If I say the note D to myself just before attempting to play it the mistake is eliminated or rather the mistake occurs much less frequently. I suspect that once it's really in the fingers I won't have to say that note name.

Also don't just practice going up and down.

Do down and up and spend a little time just playing the notes around the thumb under note backwards and forwards..

#63 becster

becster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Member: 888990

Posted 10 February 2018 - 21:46

Hey YellowLemon77 glad things are looking a bit brighter and fantastic to see so much excellent advice re scales! Enjoy!

You also mention sight reading as a concern and I wonder if any of these resources might be of help?

* e music maestro online sight reading - plays a recording to you of what you should have played which can help you figure out if you got it right
* piano maestro app listens to you and can tell you how you got on with note and rhythm accuracy
* a piece a week sight reading books by Paul Harris provide lots of material to practise on
* hop down to your local charity shop and buy up any method books and any prep or pre grade 1 books and even any grade 1 books. Then start making yourself sight read a piece a day... it will get easier!

Good luck! Eventually sight reading will be your friend because it will help you pick up sheet music you like and play it - it is a useful skill :)