33 replies to this topic

#31 Spirulla

Spirulla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Member: 888475

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:57

Wow, Rach 123, you can play so many instruments and love theory - you must be v musical.  

I've discovered some useful sites that seem to help with some aspects of the aural.  I'm learning the solfege hand signals (had never heard of these until posters on this board mentioned them).  Some sites seem to give free goes until they start wanting a subscription fee.  (e.g. learning to sing from a score). Playing music with other people is one of the greatest pleasures that doesn't have to cost much.

Presumably there's a reason why ABRSM is so committed to their current requirements for aural exams.  Which research is it based on, does anyone know?

#32 polkadot

polkadot

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1647 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 16 February 2018 - 17:05

Solfa is MAGIC and the language of music - IMHO every musician should learn it, for very many reasons!

I've recently started teaching a very bright and musical young chap who is a producer of electronic dance music - not too much of a musical background or knowledge but is just loving Kod├íly and is fairly whizzing along.  His fellow producers are all mucho impressed that he can read music and sight-sing!

He looked thoughtful the other day and said, 'Do you know, I've been thinking - I don't think anyone can call themselves a musician if they don't sing.'

I gave him a sticker goldstar.gif

biggrin.png

I must admit I'm rather surprised that you endorsed his belittling of non-singing musicians by giving him a sticker.  It's a misguided (and somewhat arrogant) thing for him to have said and I'm surprised you didn't put him straight instead of giving him a sticker and repeating it (in two different threads) on this forum.

I'm glad for him that he's found what he believes to be his holy grail, but belittling those who have so far been unsuccessful in their quest or have an entirely different holy grail, is not only misguided but rather mean-spirited IMO.

#33 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14098 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted Yesterday, 00:07

If you had heard him, polkadot, in no way did he make this statement in a belittling manner.   He is anything BUT arrogant.

And what DO you mean by 'putting him straight'???

I also don't remember stating that he had 'found his holy grail'.   He is just a very exciting student to have because of his lack of prior musical experience and knowledge but the deep and thoughtful way he has gone into it all and the conclusions he is coming to as a result of his own research, reading and experience.

Neither he nor I have belittled anyone and I will thank you not to twist my words as such.

You should also know me well enough to know that my comments about stickers are very tongue-in-cheek.

*bows out of thread*

#34 polkadot

polkadot

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1647 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted Yesterday, 02:38

If you had heard him, polkadot, in no way did he make this statement in a belittling manner.   He is anything BUT arrogant.

And what DO you mean by 'putting him straight'???

I also don't remember stating that he had 'found his holy grail'.   He is just a very exciting student to have because of his lack of prior musical experience and knowledge but the deep and thoughtful way he has gone into it all and the conclusions he is coming to as a result of his own research, reading and experience.

Neither he nor I have belittled anyone and I will thank you not to twist my words as such.

You should also know me well enough to know that my comments about stickers are very tongue-in-cheek.

*bows out of thread*

Hmmm, well your student stated his opinion, you repeated it and now I'm giving my opinion, as people are entitled to do on a forum!  I'm not the only person who thought it was a contentious statement to make, and I'm surprised if you didn't expect someone to rise to the bait!  I still don't see how it's isn't arrogant and belittling to non-singers to state "I don't think anyone can call themselves a musician if they don't sing".

As HelenVJ says, sight-singing and other skills are important for the general rounding of a musician

^ Hence my reference to "putting him straight".

I did not say that you had stated that he had found his holy grail - it was a figure of speech which I used of my accord wink.png To quote yourself, Cyrilla, "I will thank you not to twist my words as such"!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: exams, singing, aural