Witzend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Member: 892899
  • Kingston on Thames

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:53

I still associate much of the music from the original Fantasia with the animations,,but funnily enough the associations are not negative.

I was taken to see Fantasia at the age of four. We had no TV until many years later, and the cinema was an exceedingly rare event, so it all made a great impression on me. My father explained evolution to me - albeit very simply - through those sequences in Rite of Spring, and I still remember finding the 'devil' on top of Bare Mountain very scary. (Not sure I'd let a 4 year old watch that now!)!

I bought the original Fantasia for my daughters when they were still very young - the Pastoral Symphony is still well loved by both in spite of - or because of - this!
Incidentally, I've often wondered whether some of the Pastoral sequences inspired someone to invent My Little Pony. Those who are familiar with that part of Fantasia will, I'm sure, know what I mean!

#17 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:58

I grew up without a TV and scarcely watch it even now, so have none of these associations - apart from the Onedin Line (which I have never seen) I don't even recognise any of your programme titles! biggrin.png

Oh, believe me yours is a complete blessing; be grateful!  I hold too many of these associations!  One of very worst which I can't seem to delete has to be the violin trills near the start of Brahms' piano concerto No.1 in D minor, Op. 15 and the Perry Mason theme tune, probably because they both have a long trill on Ab (bar 8 in the Brahms).

I play all of these, but often omit that relatively easy Dflat one (No 15  set for Grade 7) because of its use in Ever Decreasing Circles

rofl.gif But "easy"? I see now that when you use the adjective "amateur" reflexively you do so in the original sense of the word. I bet you rattle off a few WTC P&Fs every morning without a moment's thought!

#18 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16789 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 14 February 2018 - 14:35

I grew up without a TV and scarcely watch it even now, so have none of these associations - apart from the Onedin Line (which I have never seen) I don't even recognise any of your programme titles! biggrin.png

Oh, believe me yours is a complete blessing; be grateful!  I hold too many of these associations!  One of very worst which I can't seem to delete has to be the violin trills near the start of Brahms' piano concerto No.1 in D minor, Op. 15 and the Perry Mason theme tune, probably because they both have a long trill on Ab (bar 8 in the Brahms).

I play all of these, but often omit that relatively easy Dflat one (No 15  set for Grade 7) because of its use in Ever Decreasing Circles

rofl.gif But "easy"? I see now that when you use the adjective "amateur" reflexively you do so in the original sense of the word. I bet you rattle off a few WTC P&Fs every morning without a moment's thought!

About half of WTC, I try to do at least one a day though, and not before breakfast biggrin.png

#19 Clovis

Clovis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 14 February 2018 - 14:57

The Rondo finale from Mozart's Horn Concerto No.4, and the Flanders and Swann version.

Can't hear the piece without their words going round in my head.

Having said that, that song led to my son's early obsession with the French horn, which he now plays very well. The Rondo is only about a year off for him now.

#20 Witzend

Witzend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • Member: 892899
  • Kingston on Thames

Posted 14 February 2018 - 19:34

Ditto to the Flanders and Swann Horn concerto! I still like it, but I can't help hearing the words.
Having said that, I now have an urge to find the F and S version on YouTube...

#21 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:13

Climb Every Mountain, beautifully sung in The Sound of Music by Margery McKay. However, when our band played it as part of a lovely medley from the film, my fellow alto saxophonist insisted on going into every note of the last line with a wide, jazz scoop. I cannot hear any version of it now without hearing it.

#22 Flutery

Flutery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Member: 895537

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:52

Everyone's a fruit and nut case, Frank Muir singing to Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker, advertising Cadbury Fruit & Nut chocolate. Even eons later I still hear it?

#23 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 16 February 2018 - 09:56

Whenever I hear the orchestral opening of Tchaikovsky's 1st piano concerto I'm waiting for the Hoffnung version where the soloist comes in with the Grieg. rofl.gif

#24 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6418 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:41

The proper name for the Grieg is, of course, 'Grieg, by Grieg'.

Now listening to Hoffnung, and probably some Flanders & Swann this afternoon :D

#25 linda.ff

linda.ff

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7946 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 16 February 2018 - 16:11

Any hold music/ringtone that instead of a recording of the real version of an instrument or piece they use a computer generated version and it sounds dreadful.

I used to have a friend that had a doorbell that played fur elise.

Ours does that - or it would if I hadn't reset it to ding-dong. It has *52* different chimes and only a handful sound like a traditional doorbell.

Why on earth do you need a whole tune for a doorbell? It's not like a ringtone on a phone, where it has to go on till you pick up, then stops. (mine is the Grand March from Aida)