Witzend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Member: 892899
  • Kingston on Thames

Posted 06 March 2018 - 13:57

Ponchielli's Dance of the Hours........Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah.......enough said. Now to get the earworm out!!!!

I can't hear that without thinking of the hippo 'ballerina' in Fantasia! And the ostriches...

#32 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8005 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 07 March 2018 - 14:04

Moon River. I worked in a truly dreadful hotel, one of the dreadful things being that they had a loop of music that was only thirty minutes long, which played morning till night in the restaurant, and that was on it.

My daughter is married to an Andy Williams. I promised them I would not sing Moon River, and they both looked blank - turned out he had never heard of it, and she had not known of Andy Williams the singer! 

#33 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8005 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 07 March 2018 - 14:11

Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia from Khachaturian's Spartacus - The Onedin Line
Allegretto from Janá?ek's Sinfonietta - Crown Court
Romance from Shostakovich's The Gadfly Suite - Reilly, Ace of Spies
No. 15 from Shostakovich's Twenty-four Preludes, Op. 34 - Ever Decreasing Circles
Adagio from Mozart's piano concerto No.23 in A major(K488) - Air France advert
Mussorgsky/Rimsky-Korsakov - Night On Bald Mountain - Maxell cassette sound barrier advert

I clearly was exposed to way too much TV as a child!

I don't find most of those "unfortunate" at all. Recognising them from the series didn't spoil the music for me at all, and if I had already learned what it was, it just led me to find the rest of the music. One or two of these I don't recognise in their TV context, but weren't they all from good quality recordings, not digitised.

How about the last movement of the Trout Quintet from Waiting for God ?

To me, it generally suggests that this is going to be a good quality programme.

(Ah, that Crown Court entry opening, though, I still see the courtroom now when I hear it!)