Photo

Easy piano studies book recommendations please.

piano studies

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hammer action

hammer action

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Member: 63311

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:35

I have a retired lady who is nearing the end of Dozen A Day Book 2 (green) and finding it difficult.  She managed not too badly with the blue book, but this one has been a struggle and progress has been very, very slow.  Book 3 is out of the question as it would be far too complicated.  

I've been looking online at piano study books this morning, but haven't found anything that would be suitable.  I'm looking for something of a level between Dozen A Day books 1 and 2.  She enjoys short studies of maybe 4 - 8 bars long, and they'd need to be pretty easy.

Any suggestions please?

#2 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2073 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 06 March 2018 - 13:00

What specifically has she found tricky in Book 2?  And why does she want to learn short studies as opposed to developing her technique and musical understanding through repertoire? I prefer not to use studies as such ( including 12 a Day!) until the students are at least ready for some easy Burgmuller, Czerny etc.
Do you think she would cope with the first volume of Mikrokosmos? These aren't actual studies as such,of course, but technique can be developed through them.

#3 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6471 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 06 March 2018 - 13:16

Have you looked at Tuneful Graded Studies (Dorothy Bradley) which are collections of Czerny, Burgmuller, D. Bradley herself and others.

Also, there's a collection of Czerny 101 exercises for the piano which are not too difficult.  https://www.musicroo...ises-for-piano/

#4 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2073 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 06 March 2018 - 13:19

Those are good, but considerably harder (and longer!)  than !2 a Day Book 2, Hedgehog!

#5 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1760 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 06 March 2018 - 13:34

Not quite what you're looking for but I use 'Basic Timing for the Pianist' (Allan Small) to help players learn to count and play.  105 4-bar exercises in C 5-finger position, gradually introducing note lengths, rest, triplets etc.  You could vary them by adding articulation and dynamics or modify them in other ways to suit what your pupil can manage. 

#6 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7416 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 06 March 2018 - 13:45

The ABRSM publish a series of studies which I have sometimes found very useful. They are  badly graded  - I mean I wouldn't use Grade 1 before the pupil was a good Grade 2 standard.  There are 2 series and the book I would recommend for your pupil is the Premiminary Book from series 2. There are a lot of short, tuneful studies that might well appeal to an adult learner. If I remember rightly the Premiminary Book in series 1 is less attractive but slightly easier.

Another possibility is the James Ching Graded Studies series but these are rather dull in comparison. I'm not sure if they are still in print.

#7 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 06 March 2018 - 14:00

What about Piano Adventures Technique and Artistry? They're quite fun. Not sure which level. Someone else might advise.

#8 fatar760

fatar760

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Member: 6339
  • London

Posted 06 March 2018 - 14:21

I used to teach from Kenneth Baker's Complete Piano Player series - it's mostly geared towards adults and there's be plenty of arrangements in there of pieces she knows. 

#9 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6471 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 07 March 2018 - 17:52

Those are good, but considerably harder (and longer!)  than !2 a Day Book 2, Hedgehog!

I think the Book 1 of Tuneful Graded Studies would be ok. They are not very long, or could be broken down into reasonable sections, which would give a sense of satisfaction when they are completed.  I have used these and the Czerny with some adults who were learning for pleasure and not aiming to progress very quickly.

#10 Sautillé

Sautillé

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Member: 897314

Posted 07 March 2018 - 20:56

Hi hammer action.... I always used dozen a day, complete, 1,2 and 3 and sometimes 4. Then, I realised that, in the pressure of a 30min back to back lesson, some of 2 and certainly some of 3 we’re taking me a lot of time to teach and weren’t really worth it. So, I now teach DD 1 and 2 pretty straight. 3 and 4 I’ve got my own plan picking and choosing from the ones I think are good. With younger children I then do a selection from ‘The Piano Doctor’ and then with everybody ‘Fingerkraft’ 2 and sometimes 3. I don’t bother with Fingerkraft 1 because all of my pupils can transition to 2 after DD 2/3. After that, Hanon (start with the Bastien or John Thompson books) .....
One thing worth thinking about, ultimately you need to transition to ‘travelling’ finger ex of some description. So, as soon as my pupils hit group V of DD2, i’m Getting them to take them all up the scale with requisite accidentals. Sx

#11 Sautillé

Sautillé

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Member: 897314

Posted 07 March 2018 - 20:58

Sorry, numbers confused..... DD mini book and book 1.... so book 1 group V for going up the scales....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: piano, studies