Photo

Playing an instrument and going to the gym....

sore fingers piano gym shaking hands

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hammer action

hammer action

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Member: 63311

Posted 14 March 2018 - 13:44

Not at the same time.  biggrin.png   I go to the gym and feel my fingers get very sore when I do weights and was wondering if anyone else gets this too?  I often get shaky hands and they're still a bit shaky when I teach piano later on in the afternoons.  My main concern is my aching fingers though.  I was at the gym this morning and they now feel a bit stiff.  I don't want to stop doing weights altogether but also wouldn't want to damage my fingers.  Any advice please?  

#2 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22911 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 14 March 2018 - 13:56

Do you wear protective gloves for the lifting?

Have you asked any of the trainers at the gym?

#3 hammer action

hammer action

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Member: 63311

Posted 14 March 2018 - 14:10

Yes I always wear gloves.  A few of my students go to the gym and haven't experienced this but I'll get advice from a trainer next time I'm there.

#4 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 14 March 2018 - 15:03

How much stretching do you do after the gym? I notice that after a particularly strenuous exercise class I can get shaky arms/legs and usually a bit of extra stretching helps. 

#5 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4732 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 14 March 2018 - 16:01

Beware.
If I could go back in time I would not do the wretched sideways plank that seems to have done permanent damage to my shoulder. I felt it 'go'as soon as I did it and I've tried physio, acupuncture, Alexander technique and massage to no real, lasting benefit.
I now have numbness and pins& needles in the middle fingers and was all set to have the procedure done to corret carpal tunnel syndrome but.....
the orthopaedic consultant doubts that that is the cause and suspects a vascular problem possibly from the neck/shoulder. I now have to have nerve conduction studies done. Don't know what that will show but I doubt it will be corrected as easily as CTS.
Please don't be tempted by some bossy trainer to lift anything too heavy; go for lighter weights and more reps.

#6 Digby

Digby

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2073 posts
  • Member: 480

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:30

If its shaky fingers, is it food related are you eating enough after the gym?  

#7 _DaVid_

_DaVid_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Member: 895117

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:14

Not sore fingers but a bit shaky for a while after yes. Not sure why that is but it's probably just adrenaline or something, although I only get that with kettlebells I don't lift barbells or dumbells. Same thing though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sore fingers, piano, gym, shaking hands