#1 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 13 May 2018 - 23:09

Did anyone watch it?  I could not get to grips with the piano piece in the final.  Yes it was technical but I did not like it.   I am not really into Prokofiev.

#2 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17064 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:06

After I heard the cellist Maxim, I was dumbfounded, I have never heard the Rococo played better.  My favourite Concerto by Prokofiev is the 3rd  (much more user friendly adultpianist), but I have heard the second before and its very difficult. Lauren coped admirably with the technique required , and clearly its 'show off' style' was loved by the audience,  but I thought Maxim communicated his music better to the audience.  A close run thing.  My favourite pianist was Elias Ackerley in the Group final, or even Sheku Kanneh-Masons sister. I only had Lauren third!

#3 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:08

I have listened to the 3rd concerto and i do not like it

#4 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:26

I agree with f# - I love Prokoviev and Lauren's performance was very impressive, but Maxim was just stunning. I'm sure we'll hear more of him in the future.

#5 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:35

Not keen on concerto no 3 sorry

#6 Nine and a Half Fingers

Nine and a Half Fingers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Member: 893737

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:37

For the second competition running I wanted the saxophonist to win. I thought the Prokofiev was the most turgid piece of music I've heard in a long time - although obviously brilliantly played. I thought she was the best pianist for technique in the category final, but I found her playing somewhat charmless- not sure why.

I must say that I was very disappointed in the keyboard final not to her any Haydn,Mozart, BEETHOVEN, Schumann or Brahms. Hey ho - it was a competition and they must choose to their strengths....

#7 sopsaxharpflute

sopsaxharpflute

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Member: 889297
  • The Netherlands

Posted 14 May 2018 - 18:25

I loved Lauren Zhang's playing. To me, it was like she was, very convincingly, telling a complex story. It was so compelling that sometimes I forgot to breathe. She very well deserved her first place. And from: https://www.youtube....h?v=q_-b5pwnuRk I understood she also has her grade 8 in violin. I would very much like to see her play the violin as well.

#8 jpiano

jpiano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2134 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 14 May 2018 - 22:37

I also loved Lauren's playing in the final. The Prokofiev isn't my favourite concerto but I loved her blend of power and lyricism and I thought the work showed off her amazing abilities to the full. When I listened to the keyboard final she wasn't my first choice at all initially but I don't think the editing really did anyone justice. It was on listening a second time to the performances in full on the website that I completely reversed my opinion. I agree about the lack of Mozart and Beethoven, though, in the keyboard final.

I am also growing increasingly irritated by the formulaic nature of the programme. If only they would cut out the silly shots of the judges walking down the corridor to menacing music and the guest expert commentating with minimal meaningful information, together with the endless repetition of the theme music. I also really disliked the comment by the presenter at the end of the semi-final that the 2 non-finalists must be bitterly disappointed. To me this, together with the awful shots of menacing judges, etc, ran completely counter to the feeling that this is not simply about winning but is a wonderful celebration and festival of music.

#9 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17064 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:02

I noticed that in the final we didn't hear a note until 25 mins of the programme had elapsed.

#10 bevpiano

bevpiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Member: 7837
  • hertfordshire

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:23

I loved Lauren Zhang's playing. To me, it was like she was, very convincingly, telling a complex story. It was so compelling that sometimes I forgot to breathe. She very well deserved her first place. And from:  I understood she also has her grade 8 in violin. I would very much like to see her play the violin as well.

Apparently, she has LTCL in violin, a pretty amazing achievement in a 2nd instrument at such a young age. Lauren was definitely my 1st choice in keyboard final and final, I thought her playing showed great depth as well as incredible technique. She was outstanding in an outstanding field.

#11 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1836 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:39

For the second competition running I wanted the saxophonist to win.

I was disappointed that neither saxophonist chose to play Milhaud's Scaramouche, but maybe that says more about my limited knowledge of the classical saxophone repertoire. :blush:

#12 Edwardo

Edwardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Member: 4759
  • Gloucestershire

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:00

I thought Lauren's performance was the best I've ever heard in many years of listening to this programme.  I didn't know the concerto (though I adore Argerich's recording of the 3rd) but I was stunned by her control, her expression, her power and sheer musicality.  To me, she's already the real deal.

That said, I think Josie D'Arby was terrible - all those dumb questions about "journey" and "taking it to the next level" and "how do you feel".  More music, less waffle, please.

#13 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5562 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:18

I've just looked into this forum in the hope of finding the forthcoming date of the final, to find that I MISSED IT!!!! I had been keeping an eye on the TV listings, assuming that the finalists had been given a bit more time this time around to prepare their concertos. Will have to watch it on catch-up. Please could someone tell me what channel it was on....was it BBC4 like the others?

sad.png

#14 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1944 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:50

Yes, it was on BBC 4 and is still available on iPlayer. The other rounds had taken place some time earlier - they weren't broadcast live.

#15 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5562 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 21 May 2018 - 19:27

Thank you, Helen.smile.png